"Serendipity" Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka by Maxus
Sri Lanka Travel Guide: 4,075 reviews and 10,383 photos
I have been to lots of places in the world but nowhere has left as deep an impression on me than Sri Lanka and the last 10 years I have either just back from a visit or preparing for my next one. I have never fully understood my obsession with the place, it is a beautiful island with its fair share of historical sites but I have always preferred to spend my time ‘village side’ with real people rather than looking at ruins in the Cultural Triangle.
Being an island, Sri Lankan history and culture is a little less blurred around the edges than some countries, it’s more distinct and somehow more ‘fathomable’' for an outsider who likes to know what makes things tick but if you are interested in finding out more about Sinhalese society and culture you need to get away from the main tourist areas or the famous 'cultural triangle'.
Sri Lanka has changed a lot in recent years and not all the changes have been positive. When I first came here people who didn’t rely on tourists for a living would politely ignore you, those who did need your money would use their easy charm to separate you from it. Well that’s pretty much as it is now but much of the politeness and charm has gone, there seems to be an attitude that being polite to foreigners is somehow demeaning, tourists are there to be fleeced and if they don’t like it they shouldn’t come.
Increasingly I meet people in VT whose experience of Sri Lanka has been less than magical, the tips below are designed to help you get out and about with a minimum of hassle.
My ramblings on Sri Lankan life and culture are on my home page, below are links to some tips for travellers heading to Sri Lanka, I hope you find at least some of them useful.
If you are visiting this page because you are considering a trip to Sri Lanka – all I can say is do it and do it now because it’s changing fast
Below there are links to a series of honest travel tips some of which you may find useful
If you have any comments or questions please don't hesitate to get in touch.
: News Agencies are reporting around 25,000 cases of Dengue Fever so far this year resulting in at least 245 deaths, the number in the whole of last year was 1,456 with 85 deaths and with around 7,000 new cases reported in July alone, there is no doubt that the current outbreak is serious and tourists should be concerned.
From what I can gather, the worst places to be are Kandy, Kegalle, Colombo, Gampaha and Kurunegala.
There’s no preventative medicine all you can do is try not to get bitten and if you get flu-like symptoms go to see a doctor ASAP (don’t take aspirin, the last thing you need with Dengue is a bleeding stomach). As ever good medical insurance is vital.
The Sri Lankan army now have control of the territory formally held by the ‘Tamil Tigers’ who were most or less wiped out in a dramatic and bloody last stand.
However there is currently political unrest and travellers should keep updated with events"
The future is anyone’s guess.
- Pros:Where do I start?
- Cons:It's changing fast (and not always for the better)
- In a nutshell:There is still some magic left in the world
Sri Lankans are mad on cricket and as you can see they start very early indeed, it's not just a fanatical support for... more travel advice
What bars there are outside the tourist resorts tend to be exclusively male affairs and can be a little grim, however... more travel advice
- See All Boys will be boys - girls should be...
- See All Safety First
- See All Probably the Best Place to Eat in Tissa
- See All Buying Gems
- See All Smoking
Maxus' Related Pages
Sri Lanka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sri Lanka"
- "Ayu Bowan Sri Lanka"
- "SRI LANKA: Tear Drop of the Indian Ocean."
- "Sri Lanka - A wonderful Country"
- "India's tear"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sri Lanka
- Hotels in Sri Lanka
- Transportation in Sri Lanka
- Nightlife in Sri Lanka
- Restaurants in Sri Lanka
- Shopping in Sri Lanka
- Warnings and Dangers in Sri Lanka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sri Lanka
- 122 Reviews
- 309 Photos
- 442 Forum posts
- 12 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Sri Lanka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sri Lanka
- Posted in Travel Sri Lanka Forum "Re: Palm village hotel,..."
- created a Sri Lanka Travelogue "South - East - North - East - West - North - South"
- Uploaded a Photo to "South - East - North - East - West - North - South"
- Commented on one of PierreZA's Sri Lanka travel pages
- Wrote a Review Cricket Crazy in Sri Lanka Sports & Outdoors
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 94 reviews, 223 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lancashire Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos
- Heysham Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- England 1 review, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Matara Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Bharuch Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Haputale Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Negombo Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Scarborough Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Kataragama Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos