"Take the High Road" Durness by Maxus
Durness Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 108 photos
Most visitors agree that the scenery in the Highlands is amongst the best in Europe but travellers sometimes miss the very best that Scotland has to offer because it is so far to the north. It is difficult to describe the staggeringly beautiful and unspoiled landscapes of Caithness and Sutherland, you really need to get into a car and go there.
You can take one of Britains most scenic train journeys as far as Thurso but the very best of the Scottish Highlands and coastline is arguably to the west of here and to reach it you really need your own (reliable) transport.
There are hotels dotted along the route or you can take a tent, the campsite at Durness has good facilities, including a hot showers, a laundry and campers kitchen to cook and eat you food if the weather is at its worst. The village has a pub, shops, petrol, ATM and tourist information.
Whether you camp or stay in the hotel the village of Durness is a perfect base to explore this part of the world.
Allow at least a full day to get here from Glasgow or Edinburgh, Durness is a few hours drive west of Thurso or north of Ullapool depending on which way you approach, you can travel up one side of Scotland then back down the other.
Like the mountains, the coastline is staggeringly beautiful with some of the greatest sunsets anywhere on earth.
- Pros:The Isolation and Breathtaking Scenery
- Cons:The Changable Weather
- In a nutshell:its another world
Maxus' Related Pages
Durness Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Heading West To Durness"
- "Durness - Cape Wrath"
- "A Fantastic Disaster!!"
- "Out on the edge"
- "The Cape Wrath and the Smoo Cave"
- "sleepy village"
- "Smoo Cave"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durness
- Hotels in Durness
- Transportation in Durness
- Nightlife in Durness
- Restaurants in Durness
- Warnings and Dangers in Durness
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Durness
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Durness?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durness
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 94 reviews, 223 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lancashire Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos
- Heysham Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- England 1 review, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Matara Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Bharuch Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Haputale Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negombo Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Scarborough Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Kataragama Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos