"Heysham Village" Heysham by Maxus
Heysham Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 17 photos
Heysham proper is quite a big place, just how big I don’t know because I have never really looked, apart from the ferry port, the nuclear power station and the Old Hall (now a pub and eatery) there isn’t an awful lot there but Heysham Village is well worth a visit if you are in the area and is within walking distance from Morecambe (for its sins).
A fairly typical English Village comprising of a pub, church and a collection of cottages, most dating back to the 1600s, hugs the shore of Morecambe Bay protected from the worst of the weather by a headland. There is not a great deal to do here except take a look around.
If you have forty five seconds to spare there is a Heritage Centre*, which has some black and white photographs and very little else, then you can drink the famous non-alcoholic Nettle Beer (a renowned tonic for the blood) and visit the ancient church of St. Peter and the ruins of St. Patrick's chapel.
For an excellent website on Heysham (created by a guy called David Gray) have a look at: http://www.heyshamweb.co.uk/history.html
*there is not much in the Heritage Centre but I believe that the people involved do sterling work in and around the place.
- Pros:Its handy for Morecambe
- Cons:Its not Morecambe
- In a nutshell:A little island of charm in a sea of humdrum
Dating back to the 1500s the Royal Hotel apparently occupies one of the oldest buildings in Heysham, only the church is... more travel advice
The Barrow’s is a piece of rough ground on the Heysham headland running down to the sea. With cliffs, ancient grave... more travel advice
Maxus' Related Pages
Heysham Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Heysham
- Restaurants in Heysham
- Warnings and Dangers in Heysham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Heysham
- 7 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Heysham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heysham
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 94 reviews, 223 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lancashire Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos
- Heysham Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- England 1 review, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Matara Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Bharuch Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Haputale Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negombo Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Scarborough Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Kataragama Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos