"Lunch time petrol stop on the road to Durness" Ullapool by Maxus
Ullapool Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 279 photos
I have spent several nights in Ullapool over the years, chiefly because it’s the only town of any size in this part of the world. I don’t like heading much further north of here after dark so if I am heading for Cape Wrath and running a little late an Ullapool pub crawl is the usual routine, followed by a night at what must be Britain’s windiest campsite.
It’s a great little fishing port and you never know who you are going to meet, we have spent evenings drinking vodka with some friendly Russians sailors and the campsite too attracts trippers from all over Europe, even though the water smells of diesel and the wind sometimes blows their tents down as it blasts its way up Loch Broom.
Others know much more about this place than I do, for me it’s really just a handy stop-off point but I was just so pleased with the fish and chips we got from the Chippy here on our last visit that I decided to write a tip.
I usually only buy beer and chips here but there is an outdoor shop for camping equipment and the likes. All the usual tat gifts, whiskey and woolens are available as are fishing trip etc etc
The wind can be a bugger but the sun does shine in Ullerpool sometimes. By the way, this is a very old photograph.
Ullerpool fishing boats fly the Canadian flag in a gesture of solidarity with their brothers across the Atlantic.
Maxus' Related Pages
Ullapool Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "West Highlands & Ullapool"
- "Ullapool , Scotland"
- "Keeweechic's Ullapool"
- "One night in Ullapool"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ullapool
- Hotels in Ullapool
- Transportation in Ullapool
- Nightlife in Ullapool
- Restaurants in Ullapool
- Shopping in Ullapool
- Warnings and Dangers in Ullapool
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ullapool
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Ullapool?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ullapool
Photos in UllapoolSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 94 reviews, 223 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lancashire Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos
- Heysham Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- England 1 review, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Matara Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Bharuch Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Haputale Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negombo Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Scarborough Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Kataragama Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos