"Matara, a working town" Matara by Maxus
Matara Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 49 photos
I like Matara, it's got just about everything you need - like banks, shops, restaurants, internet cafes, good transport links, the odd historical monument and a good little beach at Polhena but it doesn't have much of what you don’t need like the touts which haunt places like Negombo and towns adjacent to tourist resorts such as Aluthgama.
Matara sits on the south coast of Sri Lanka at the terminus of the coastal railway line it’s about four hours from Colombo (one and a half from Galle) and on a good day train is a great way to travel as you get to see the best of the coast.
Matara does have beaches of it's own but they are'nt up to much, Polhena however, which is within walking distance of the town, has a great little beach and if you are going to stay in the area it’s probably Polhena you want.
Polhena beach gets busy with Sri Lankan people most afternoons and at weekends but it the morning you will probably have it to yourself. An offshore reef, which you can swim out to, protects the beach from all but the gentlest waves (surfers need to go along the coast a little) the water is shallow and almost perfect except for some patches of coral, so you might want to put something on your feet.
There is plenty of accommodation in every price range, the main hotel has a bar which is open to non-residents, in other places you need to order your booze in advance and the staff will go and buy it for you .
Polhena was hammered by the tsunami and the evidence is still apparent and the locals all have tales to tell but like elsewhere Polhena is bouncing back and getting on with life.
I intend to add to this page, in the meantime if you have any questions email me and I will do my best.
- Pros:Polhena Beach (in the morning)
- Cons:Like most Sri Lankan towns, Matara is a traffic nightmare
This is a new place (January 2009) which is also a hotel. We came for lunch, we had rice and curry but others in the... more travel advice
Dondra Head is the southernmost point in Sri Lanka so for anyone doing a four-points tour it would be important place to... more travel advice
Maxus' Related Pages
Matara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Matara, a working town"
- "Nothing to do and a brilliant place to do it."
- "Paradise lost"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Matara
- Hotels in Matara
- Restaurants in Matara
- Shopping in Matara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Matara
- 7 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Matara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Matara
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 94 reviews, 223 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lancashire Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos
- Heysham Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- England 1 review, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Matara Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Bharuch Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Haputale Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negombo Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Scarborough Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Kataragama Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos