"Trinco" Trincomalee by Maxus
Trincomalee Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 54 photos
If you are looking for good old fashioned rudeness the railway is often a good place to start, a recent encounter with the station master at Trinco really put me in my place
It’s difficult to describe if you weren’t there, it wasn’t just what he said (or what he wouldn’t say) it was the way he said it. It was quite funny now I think about it – like something from an Ealing Comedy.
I didn’t realise bookings ended at 12 and went to the station early afternoon, I asked a question of a railway employee – he directed me to the station master who was alone in the office, sat behind his desk and doing nothing but staring at the open door. I said excuse me, can we book seats on the evening train on the same morning? He didn’t move a muscle and didn’t look at me, he just said quietly ‘bookings are between 8am and 12’.
I said understood that and wasn’t asking to make a booking, I just needed to know if it was worth me coming along the next day because if we couldn’t get on the evening train we would get a bus early morning, he said: ‘bookings are between 8am and 12’.
I asked again if I came in the morning would I be able to book seats on the evening train? He said (now with obvious irritation) ‘bookings are between 8am and 12’.
I thought maybe he simply didn’t like foreigners so I asked a Sinhala friend to try – he got exactly the same response.
- Pros:Not over-developed
Maxus' Related Pages
Trincomalee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A bit different..."
- "My New Home Town"
- "The world's largest natural harbour"
- "2 years in Trincomalee"
- "Trincomalee - natural harbour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trincomalee
- Hotels in Trincomalee
- Transportation in Trincomalee
- Restaurants in Trincomalee
- Warnings and Dangers in Trincomalee
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Trincomalee
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Trincomalee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trincomalee
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Intro, 94 reviews, 223 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lancashire Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos
- Heysham Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- England 1 review, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Matara Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos
- Bharuch Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Haputale Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negombo Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Scarborough Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Kataragama Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos