"Kilmartin Glen" Kilmartin by LaineBelle
Kilmartin Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 196 photos
I came to Kilmartin to see the standing stones, cairns, and grave slabs. I must add that the drive from Oban and Kilmartin was beautiful! There were breathtaking views of glens, lochs, the ocean, and mountains.
This area is rich with sites from Scotland's prehistoric past. I was quite limited by time so am planning to come back when I can spend at the least a full day at Kilmartin, two or three would be much better. I found that not only are there standing stones, cairns, and grave slabs, but also forts, a castle, rock carvings, and Christian sites as well as barrows, henges and crannogs!
This church was built in 1836 replacing an earlier church built in 1798 and an even earlier one from 1601. There is a record of a church here as early as 1323.
A building in the churchyard contains graveslabs dating back as far as the 14th and 15th century. Although I didn't realize it at the time, there are also decorated crosses inside the church that possibly date to the 19th or 10th century.
- In a nutshell:For history and archaeology buffs, this glen is a must see.
LaineBelle's Related Pages
Kilmartin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Argyll & Bute On The West Coast"
- "A Wee Scottish Village"
- "A Church, A Castle and A Glen"
- "little place BIG history"
- "Kilmartin Area"
- "kilmartin ancient parish and capital of clans"
- "Kilmartin Glen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kilmartin
- Hotels in Kilmartin
- Transportation in Kilmartin
- Nightlife in Kilmartin
- Restaurants in Kilmartin
- Shopping in Kilmartin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kilmartin
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Kilmartin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kilmartin
Photos in KilmartinSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Ireland Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos
- Pitlochry Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Inverness Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oban Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Dornie Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Kilmartin Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Tobermory Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Iona Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- East Nashville 2 reviews
- Plockton Intro, 1 photo
No friends yet.