"We will return..." Patras by Yank_o

Patras Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 632 photos

Home of 3 years...

Patras was home to me and my family from June 2004 until July 2007. We moved there due to my work at the Rion-Antirion Bridge operation company. Effective from 2007 I was asked to help in another road operation project and therefore, after the end of the school year, we had to move again. However, we've had a great time, have made some great friends and truly hope we'll have the chance to return to Patras someday in the (not so distant) future!

Be there, don't just pass by

The town of Patras in Western Greece is a gateway. Usually people pass it by. Sometimes they stop. It takes some effort but you can end up with some very interesting reasons for being there.

The Rocks Across the Channel

Across the Rion-Antirion strait, less than a half-hour away from downtown Patras by car, are the two rocks one can see in the background when looking towards the sea in Patras. The most impressive and steep one is called Varasova. Just east of Varasova is the small seaside village of Vasiliki, where it is possible to enjoy a swim and a nice lunch by the sea, in relatively quiet and definitely picturesque surroundings. At a short distance from the village is the beach of Limnopoula right next to Varasova. This is what I call a truly impressive landscape.

• Pros:Youth, sea, wind, water, accessibility
  • Cons:Searching for post industrial identity; bad public transport
  • In a nutshell:Beyond the carnival
  • Intro Updated Jul 4, 2007

Yank_o Used To Live Here!

Yank_o

“Se hace camino al andar”

Badges & Stats in Patras