"We will return..." Patras by Yank_o
Patras Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 632 photos
Patras was home to me and my family from June 2004 until July 2007. We moved there due to my work at the Rion-Antirion Bridge operation company. Effective from 2007 I was asked to help in another road operation project and therefore, after the end of the school year, we had to move again. However, we've had a great time, have made some great friends and truly hope we'll have the chance to return to Patras someday in the (not so distant) future!
The town of Patras in Western Greece is a gateway. Usually people pass it by. Sometimes they stop. It takes some effort but you can end up with some very interesting reasons for being there.
Across the Rion-Antirion strait, less than a half-hour away from downtown Patras by car, are the two rocks one can see in the background when looking towards the sea in Patras. The most impressive and steep one is called Varasova. Just east of Varasova is the small seaside village of Vasiliki, where it is possible to enjoy a swim and a nice lunch by the sea, in relatively quiet and definitely picturesque surroundings. At a short distance from the village is the beach of Limnopoula right next to Varasova. This is what I call a truly impressive landscape.
- Pros:Youth, sea, wind, water, accessibility
- Cons:Searching for post industrial identity; bad public transport
- In a nutshell:Beyond the carnival
Patras, thanks to its character as a port, a student town and a regional metropolis, is known for good nightlife. What... more travel advice
Patras is a nice place for sitting out and enjoying a cup of nice cold 'frappe' coffee (or a beer, or anything else you... more travel advice
Yank_o's Related Pages
Patras Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saint Andrew in every corner!"
- "Patras - a city of St. Andrew"
- "tak_pap's new Patrai Page"
- "PATRAS- CARNIVAL CAPITOL OF GREECE"
- "We will return..."
- "SirRichard's new Patrai Page"
- "Sharrie's Patras Worship"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Patras
- Hotels in Patras
- Transportation in Patras
- Nightlife in Patras
- Restaurants in Patras
- Shopping in Patras
- Warnings and Dangers in Patras
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Patras
- 7 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Patras?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Patras
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samos Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andros Island Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Patras Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Corinth Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Prefecture of Messinia Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Cefalonia Island Intro, 3 reviews, 1 photo
- Istanbul Intro, 3 photos
- Pamukkale Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Gullubahce Intro, 3 photos
- Marmaris Intro, 1 review, 1 photo