"The Old Neighbourhood" Piraeus by Yank_o
Piraeus Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 367 photos
I grew up in a lively neighbourhood 1km from the centre of Piraeus and just a 5-minute walk from the sea.
It is at the foot of the Prophet Elias hill, one of the two short (fully built-up) "humps" in the townscape.
This hill has traditionally been the home of the town's strong Cretan community. Around the other one (the Odegetria) is where the also important community from Mani (the southern tip of Peloponnese) has settled.
Piraeus had almost no indigenous population at the time of Greece's independence but now is home to about 200,000 people (within the municipality's limits).
We Piraeus people also talk sometimes of a Greater Piraeus (which in turn belongs to Greater Athens), having about half a million residents in total. It includes a number of municipalities mainly to the north and north-west of the peninsula that forms the core of Piraeus.
The peninsula of Piraeus has a unique shape formed by:
- The main passenger (and onetime also commercial) port in the west
- The marina at Zea a.k.a. Pasalimani
- The smaller marina (onetime fishing harbour) of Mikrolimano a.k.a. Tourkolimano
- The canal between the original coastline and the landfill area of the Peace and Friendship indoor stadium
The sea is very important for the life of Piraeus. It is not only home to the ports but also seat of Greece's Shipping Ministry, the Piraeus University (with maritime studies as a key area of study) and numerous shipping-related companies.
- Pros:Steamy; next to the sea
- Cons:Public transport could be better
- In a nutshell:More than a suburb of Athens
Yank_o's Related Pages
Piraeus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Piraeus - Cruise over the Saronic Gulf"
- "Piraeus Port and City"
- "Port city"
- "Piraeus the greek port"
- "The place where your islands adventure start"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Piraeus
- Hotels in Piraeus
- Transportation in Piraeus
- Restaurants in Piraeus
- Shopping in Piraeus
- Warnings and Dangers in Piraeus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Piraeus
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Piraeus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Piraeus
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samos Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andros Island Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Patras Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Corinth Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Prefecture of Messinia Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Cefalonia Island Intro, 3 reviews, 1 photo
- Istanbul Intro, 3 photos
- Pamukkale Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Gullubahce Intro, 3 photos
- Marmaris Intro, 1 review, 1 photo