"Northern accents in southern Aegean" Top 5 Page for this destination Samos by Yank_o
Samos Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 313 photos
Samos is the 8th largest Greek island; among those, it is the one closest to the Anatolian mainland (Western Turkey). After giants Crete and Euboea (and little Samothrace in North Aegean), Samos also possesses the highest Aegean peak (Kerketeus at 1433m). Arguably it is also the greenest Aegean island. Well known are the island's wines and an amazing ancient tunnel. Lesser known, but very special, are: its history, its people and its industrial past. It was the only Aegean island to possess a tramway in the past.
The archaeological trademark of Samos island is the single standing post from the ancient temple of Hera, built in classical times by the architects Roecos and Theodoros. Samos was an important East Greek (Ionic) island-state and the birthplace of famous historical personalities such as the mathematicians Pythagoras and Aristarchus.
The combination of pine forests and sea evokes, according to a friend, the fjords of Norway. I've never thought of it this way but maybe he's right, as one can tell from this picture of Posidonio (known among locals as Mula-Braim), a serene cove at the southeast tip of Samos, just a mile off the Turkish coast (Mt. Samsun seen in the background).
Another northern thing on Samos is the local accent. It is quite unlike that of neighbouring islands (Ikaria, Chios and the Dodecanese) and more like that of central and northern Greece, certain vowels are dropped and others are altered in the local Greek dialect.
- Pros:Green, varied, serene. Too far from Athens.
- Cons:Too far from Athens.
- In a nutshell:My real hometown
The several mountain villages of Samos offer the best-value food. Manolates, which we frequently visit, is a good... more travel advice
Avlakia is a must-see and even a must-stay. It is a small settlement built between the sea and a steep yet pine-clad... more travel advice
Yank_o's Related Pages
Samos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Samos - For The Scenery"
- "The Island of Pythagoras"
- "Northern accents in southern Aegean"
- "Samos 2004"
- "Not so pretty"
- "Sun, Sea, Stunning scenery Samos has it all"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samos
- Hotels in Samos
- Transportation in Samos
- Nightlife in Samos
- Restaurants in Samos
- Shopping in Samos
- Warnings and Dangers in Samos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Samos
- 13 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Samos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samos
Photos in SamosSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samos Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andros Island Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Patras Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Corinth Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Prefecture of Messinia Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Cefalonia Island Intro, 3 reviews, 1 photo
- Istanbul Intro, 3 photos
- Pamukkale Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Gullubahce Intro, 3 photos
- Marmaris Intro, 1 review, 1 photo