"Dead Poet Gave it a Bad Name" Prefecture of Preveza by Yank_o
Prefecture of Preveza Travel Guide: 164 reviews and 427 photos
Preveza is the town made (in)famous by the suicide of Greek poet Kostas Karyotakis, a civil servant "exiled" (i.e. transferred) there in the early 20th century. Today, two important road links (the Rion Antirion bridge and the Actium underwater crossing) and a nearby airport serve to bring this town, near the Roman town of Nicopolis and the site of a historical naval battle, closer to the rest of the world. Apart from ancient sites, the region is also known for the numerous lagoons, the river Acheron and the old Venetian town of Parga on the Ionian Sea. Situated in one of Greece's rainiest regions, the area is a verdant biotope for several species of birds.
Meaning "town of victory", Nicopolis was founded by Augustus in memory of his victory over Anthony and Cleopatra in the 1st century BC. The road connecting Preveza to Epirus' regional capital of Ioannina crosses the site, which is good for accessibility but rather unfavourable in terms of maintenance of this (vast) archaeological site in a condition worth of its significance. Nicopolis was an important city for more than 1000 years but gradually declined afterwards following raids and plundering by invaders in the middle ages.
- Pros:Varied landscape
- Cons:Overshadowed by islands
Yank_o's Related Pages
Prefecture of Preveza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Last Few Days (pg. 14 of The Adventure)"
- "Dead Poet Gave it a Bad Name"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prefecture of Preveza
- Hotels in Prefecture of Preveza
- Transportation in Prefecture of Preveza
- Nightlife in Prefecture of Preveza
- Restaurants in Prefecture of Preveza
- Shopping in Prefecture of Preveza
- Warnings and Dangers in Prefecture of Preveza
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Prefecture of Preveza
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Prefecture of Preveza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prefecture of Preveza
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samos Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andros Island Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Patras Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Corinth Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Prefecture of Messinia Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Cefalonia Island Intro, 3 reviews, 1 photo
- Istanbul Intro, 3 photos
- Pamukkale Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Gullubahce Intro, 3 photos
- Marmaris Intro, 1 review, 1 photo