"Mediterranean feeelings!" Barcelona by alemir82
Barcelona Travel Guide: 9,535 reviews and 21,838 photos
Barcelona is a city in northeastern Spain located right on the coast of the Mediterranean. It is located at nearly the same latitude as Chicago (less than one degree difference - people always ask). It has a population of about 1.5 million people, with over 10% being from other countries, primarily Central and South America and North Africa.
Barcelona is located right in between the mountains and the sea and maps are almost always drawn with the mountains being the top part of the map and the bottom being the sea instead of with north and south. Directions are also given this way and you may be told to "go up" along a certain street, turn left and look for a building on the "mountain side" or the "sea side" of the street. The city is built on a slope that rises towards the mountains and falls towards the sea, so oftentimes, even if you don't know where you are, you can figure out which way is up and which way is down by which way the ground slopes. Careful, though, because this does not always hold true.
Barcelona is located in Catalonia, one of Spain's autonomous communities, and is home to much Catalan culture. One of the most obvious ways in which this culture manifests itself is in the language. Barcelona is a bilingual city, both Spanish and Catalan being official languages. You will often see other incarnations of Catalan culture, such as people dancing the Sardanes, a traditional Catalan dance, or Castellers, human tower builders. There is an independentist movement that wants to be completely separated from the rest of Spain, but fortunately, it doesn't protest violently like happens from time to time in the Basque Country.
- Pros:hot city and hot rocking people!
- Cons:a little bad smell walking down by the street
The University of Barcelona, just like the city, is bilingual. What this means is that classes could be in Spanish,... more travel advice
Another big tourist destination is Las Ramblas, a road that goes from Pla?a Catalunya down to the sea and is lined with... more travel advice
alemir82's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- "Gaudi is Not the Only Site in the City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 6 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
Photos in BarcelonaSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pisa 40 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lund Intro, 20 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bologna Intro, 25 reviews, 22 photos
- Rome Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos
- Florence Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos
- Catanzaro Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 1 review, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Giovanni Rotondo Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 3 photos