"Wimbledon" Wimbledon by Janani

Wimbledon Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 256 photos

Lawn Tennis Championships

Until yesterday my thoughts on Wmbledon were that it's a nice place for an evening out or a meal and very easy to get to, as it has good public transport but this year I had the good fortune to attend the Lawn Tennis Championships at Wimbledon. My mum (a great tennis fan) had applied through the public ballot system and as the date by which everyone allocated tickets should have been notified passed, she felt a little disappointed but planned to try again next year. Then, a month later, she heard that she had been lucky and two tickets for court number one, on the first Tuesday of the fortnight, arrived through the post. She was really excited and I was thrilled when she asked me to come with her.

A Great Day Out

As soon as we got there, we checked who we were going to see play that day and once we'd found our seats, which were very high up, had a look round the site. We were lucky to see three great matches, including two that involved British players (Tim Henman & Alex Bogdanovic) which made for an exciting atmosphere amongst the mainly British spectators, especially when Tim Henman won his match.

I have to confess that I’ve never been quite as keen on tennis as my mum is (perhaps I was even looking forward more to the strawberries and cream than to sports related side of things!) but having attended these matches, I’m sure I’ll try to go back each year now.

The Matches We Saw

For the first match, we saw Robin Soderling of Sweden play Tim Henman of Great Britain in the Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Round. Tim Henman won after a match with many tense moments, lasting about three hours

For the second match, we saw Vera Zvonareva of Russia play Kim Clijsters of Belgium in the Ladies’ Singles - 1st Round. This went much more quickly but still had plenty of exciting occasions before Kim Clijsters won.

In the last match we saw, Alex Bogdanovic of Great Britain played Rafael Nadal of Spain in the Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Round. We thought such a highly ranked player as Rafael Nadal would perhaps win with ease, making for a dull match but, although the British player did not manage to win a set against him, he certainly put up a good fight and even brought one set to a tie break.

I did get my strawberries and cream, which was excellent too, although we finished watching a bit too late to go out for a meal, which is a shame as there are so many nice restaurants in Wimbledon!

• Last visit to Wimbledon: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 28, 2006

• painterdave's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2006 at 3:49 AM

What a feed! You really partied it up. I am getting hungry. Can I go next time, I will even dress up and wear my best!

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2006 at 11:42 PM

Nice write-up of your special day. So do we have another tennis convert, and will you be back next year ?

Janani Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Wimbledon

Have you been to Wimbledon?

Latest Activity in Wimbledon