"New Orleans" New Orleans by Danfc80

New Orleans Travel Guide: 4,198 reviews and 7,269 photos

The Weight

I asked a young guy where I might find some breakfast in the Quarter and he said “Walk with me, I’ll show you.” He said he became homeless with Katrina and has been squatting in an empty, damaged apartment building. Although he wasn’t dirty, I believed him. When we got to the restaurant he inquired whether I might be able to take a load off and buy him breakfast. I gave him $3. He said he needed $5 to buy the cheapest breakfast. I didn’t believe him and gave him a lecture about being thankful for what he got. I walked around the block and came back and had the cheapest breakfast on the menu. Cost - $5. My bad.

Shucker's Mother Don't Much Care for Brangelina

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are well known for their love of New Orleans. They are commonly seen at local bars drinking Abita beer but most important is the work they are doing to rebuild the Lower Ninth Ward which was completely destroyed by Katrina.
At Acme Oyster House, we had the luck to get seats in front of a shucker. He was a young guy that lived in the Lower Ninth with his mother. They don’t much care for the movie stars in their neighborhood.

Acapella Angel

Serendipity is the phenomenon of finding a valuable thing not sought after. We expected good music would be easy to find in New Orleans but after checking the bars around Frenchman St., we had given up. One day strolling through the Quarter, we came across two girls set up in the middle of the street singing some beautiful songs. They were both sporting dirty cornrolls and they looked like they hadn’t bathed in a week. Then the smaller one stepped forward and performed the best acapella song I have ever heard.

• Pros:Drinking beer walking the Quarter
  • Cons:Not for the meek - wait, that's not a con?
  • In a nutshell:See my New Orleans Travelogue
  • Last visit to New Orleans: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated Mar 18, 2012

Travelogues (1)

Comments

Danfc80

“Travel is all fun and games until the flying monkees attack”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in New Orleans

Have you been to New Orleans?

Latest Activity in New Orleans