"The Big Sea Change" Wacca's Profile

Not a New Chapter- A New Book !!

Well,here I am, living, and working in Kunming, the "City of Eternal Spring", in the beautiful Yunnan Province in South West China. I moved here on the 1st of September, 2005, having lived and worked in Sydney, Australia for most of my 48 years.
Having spent the past 30 years working in the Healthcare industry, from hospitals to large multinational companies, and in roles from student nurse, to Operating Theatre Manager, to National Sales and Marketing Manager, last October saw me take a 5 week sojourn to the Gateway Language Village in beautiful Zhuhai, Guandong Province, PRC to complete my TEFL/TESOL training, and become qualified to teach English to non-native speakers.
I returned to Australia to work for myself in the Healthcare industry, and also managed to do some private English tutoring to Asian adults living there, but circumstances led me to become completely jaded with what I was doing with my life, and so I sold everything I could, and moved to Kunming to start my new life teaching English, and living in China.

Setting Up Camp

I arrived in Kunming on the 1st of September, and headed for the Yun Da Hotel (see seperate review under "hotels"). The next day, I was joined there by my partner, Echo, who was returning from visiting her family elsewhwere in Yunnan Province.
Echo and I first met in June this year when I flew to be with her for 4 days, and to check out Kunming as a place to live and work. This being the 21st century, we had "met" in February on the net, and immediately hit it off, despite a big age difference.
So it took til June, and a small fortune in international phone calls, before we physically met, and both instantly knew that we wanted to be together as soon as possible.
After 5 days in the hotel, we finally found an apartment that we both loved, and was ideally located. It is opposite Yunnan Normal University, where Echo is in her final year of study, and close to me for my teaching opportunities.

Meeting the Locals

This pic is of fellow VT mate Lanny, who has lived in Kunming now for 4 years, and is a good friend to me in Kunming.

• Intro Updated Mar 8, 2007

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Wacca's Profile Photo

Wacca

“Live life to the fullest!”

Ranked Member