"Nice Folkes" Top 5 Page for this destination Folkestone by CitizenTed
Folkestone Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 200 photos
I'm not sure why Folkestone isn't a more visible destination for overseas tourists. Brits tend to visit in summer, as Folkestone has a beach and the obligatory pier area. The French abound because Folkestone is a transportation link to France. But there are few international travelers to this overlooked gem of a town. Pity, because I had a great time in Folkestone. The High Street is attractive and neat. The city center is compact and easy to navigate. The touristy seafront is perhaps a bit gauche, but if you just chill a bit and let the salty wind carry your senses, you can overlook the sad, rusting, multi-colored carnival below. Being a tourist means you don't have to work, and touring Folkestone on a weekday gives you a brilliant insight into typical small-city English life. From smarmy young camera dealers to creaky old house painters, Folkestone is a place of regular folk(e)s. The streets are safe at night, even for an American who was drinking way too much, way too late. I met wonderful people in Folkestone - people much like my peers at home. My BandB was host to a group of touring Danish motocrossers, which made for lively breakfast conversation. I also met a beautiful Japanese woman, who agreed to join me on my trip along the southern coast. Thus, Folkestone will always have fond memories for me. If you can do without the noise and expense of London, and if you bore of long stays in rural West Snotshire, Folkestone would be a perfect stop for a long weekend. Historical sidetrips to Rye and environs will help keep things fresh.
- Pros:Gorgeous sea views, good pubs/restaurants, gateway to France
- Cons:Limited historical import, moribund economy.
- In a nutshell:An overlooked gem of a small city.
Yes, there are zillions of Wetherspoons in the UK, but some of them are surprisingly unique. This one of them. It was... more travel advice
CitizenTed's Related Pages
Folkestone Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY HOME TOWN"
- "Folkestone... Near Dover!"
- "Grappling with Folkestone"
- "The Port of Folkestone"
- "Nice Folkes"
- "Folkestone Kent"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Folkestone
- Hotels in Folkestone
- Transportation in Folkestone
- Nightlife in Folkestone
- Restaurants in Folkestone
- Shopping in Folkestone
- Warnings and Dangers in Folkestone
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Folkestone
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Folkestone?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Folkestone
Photos in FolkestoneSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Hakone Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Dorchester Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Vienna Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Folkestone Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Guildford Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Newport Pagnell Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Austria Intro, 2 photos
No friends yet.