"Nice Folkes" Top 5 Page for this destination Folkestone by CitizenTed

Folkestone Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 199 photos

A Home by the Sea

I'm not sure why Folkestone isn't a more visible destination for overseas tourists. Brits tend to visit in summer, as Folkestone has a beach and the obligatory pier area. The French abound because Folkestone is a transportation link to France. But there are few international travelers to this overlooked gem of a town. Pity, because I had a great time in Folkestone. The High Street is attractive and neat. The city center is compact and easy to navigate. The touristy seafront is perhaps a bit gauche, but if you just chill a bit and let the salty wind carry your senses, you can overlook the sad, rusting, multi-colored carnival below. Being a tourist means you don't have to work, and touring Folkestone on a weekday gives you a brilliant insight into typical small-city English life. From smarmy young camera dealers to creaky old house painters, Folkestone is a place of regular folk(e)s. The streets are safe at night, even for an American who was drinking way too much, way too late. I met wonderful people in Folkestone - people much like my peers at home. My BandB was host to a group of touring Danish motocrossers, which made for lively breakfast conversation. I also met a beautiful Japanese woman, who agreed to join me on my trip along the southern coast. Thus, Folkestone will always have fond memories for me. If you can do without the noise and expense of London, and if you bore of long stays in rural West Snotshire, Folkestone would be a perfect stop for a long weekend. Historical sidetrips to Rye and environs will help keep things fresh.

• Pros:Gorgeous sea views, good pubs/restaurants, gateway to France
  • Cons:Limited historical import, moribund economy.
  • In a nutshell:An overlooked gem of a small city.
  • Last visit to Folkestone: Jun 2003
  • Intro Written Jul 17, 2005

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 5:46 AM

Hi Ted, i love your intro to my home town, its people like you that give our town a good name, all the best to you

CitizenTed

“The vagabond, when rich, is called a tourist.”

Badges & Stats in Folkestone

Have you been to Folkestone?

Latest Activity in Folkestone