"5 Days in Shanghai" Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai by Mikebb

Shanghai Travel Guide: 3,080 reviews and 8,155 photos

Our 5 day visit to Shanghai was an ideal way to finish our 24 day visit to China during May 2011. For the final 2 days we were on our own as our tour which had commenced in Beijing had finished and we had the freedom of doing our own thing.

Our tour covered most of Shanghai's major sights. With this behind us the additional 2 days allowed us to do some more in depth sightseeing through the French Concession, the Old City and the activity of the lanes and alleys. It also enabled us to use the local subway system, enjoy the local shopping, cafes and restaurants.

We had a good Shanghai Guide Book which we had researched prior to travelling to China and allowed us to personalise our visit and see the Shanghai that interested us.

This is a city of approximately17 million residents and bolstered by 3 million visitors each day during the tourist season. Be prepared for crowds in the city streets and the major tourist attractions. We felt safe at all times during the day, but take precautions and do not follow touts up backstreets. We had no fears walking the back streets, lanes and alleys of the Old City, many of which were a hive of activity with local street food markets and business.. Where there are people you will be safe. Night was different and we restricted our activity to the Bund, walking streets, shopping malls and always used taxi.

• Last visit to Shanghai: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Jul 4, 2011

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Some really nice information on this lovely city-unfortunately our visit to china did not include Shanghai.

• JohanIsWeg's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Thanks for all the tips! Visiting in November and your pages have made me even more excited!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2011 at 5:33 AM

I’ve just been hearing about Shanghai since a student of mine was recently there and returned full of enthusiasm. Looking at your photos and tips, I can see why. I like the looks of the Bund and the French Concession Villa, especially.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2011 at 5:29 AM

Certainly bring back fond memories of our trip to Shanghai just a few years ago. Nanjing Road is one of our favourite places in the city. Great travel pages of Shanghai with fine photographs. ~ho & pang

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Shanghai! The gardens look and sound really lovely, and I would like to do the walk in the old area, I love seeing how the locals live. Really nice page!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2011 at 6:11 AM

Nice pages on Shanghai. Can't wait until I am there in October.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Fabulous page Mike. The temples, squares, people, buildings and gardens are wonderful. Shanghai has such charming character. Excellent page!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I conjure up a picture of high rise buildings-but you turned that thought around. The Bund looks attractive, and you captured the culture of people very well. Good presentation.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Great photos of the Confucian Temple Mike...Ill check back again to look for more tips...Ive never been...but I have some ideas about visiting parts of China..Ill look forward to more soon..:o)

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2011 at 3:29 PM

i may have to buy a video camera. was that a restaurant boat like in hong kong? and yes, the building lights are better than las vegas. amazing.

Mikebb

“Enjoy every sight, every day”

Badges & Stats in Shanghai

Have you been to Shanghai?

Latest Activity in Shanghai