Lauterbrunnen Things to Do Tips by Mikebb Top 5 Page for this destination
Lauterbrunnen Things to Do: 98 reviews and 247 photos
Sheep - Lauterbrunnen Valley
Whilst walking a trail not far from the town my wife found some sheep grazing on a green pasture. These sheep had a bell around their neck and as they moved you would hear the bell ring.
I knew cows had bells but had never seen sheep with bells.
These photos were taken by my wife.
The grass is much greener than the sheep paddocks in Western Australia where we live.
Address: Lauterbrunnen Valley
"Top of Europe" - Enjoy The Snow
After viewing the Sphinz and the Ice Palace we then thought it was time to move out onto the snowfield. This was a rare experience for us, the first time since 1993 and our visit to Mt. Rigi that we had experienced snow.
What a great feeling being on the snow and for the first 10 minutes we did not notice the cold.
We were careful where we walked and were just happy to watch the activities and enjoy the moment.
There were walking trails, ski activities etc which were on offer, however as novices we enjoyed capturing the moment on our cameras.
Entrance To Ice Palace - Jungfrau
Our trip to Jungfrau included entry to all activities. We decided to visit the Ice Palace before we went outside onto the snowfields.
A little worried it would be freezing as we were dressed for normal street conditions plus a light jacket, the cold did not worry us. Our first experience after entry was the walk along the ice corridor, totally cut out of rock with ice covering the whole passage. Luckily there was a rail along one side which was handy to grab until we had confidence to walk without assistance.
The exhibits all carved out of ice were extremely good. The only section where we had to wait was to have our photo taken with our face protruding from a cut out.
Allow yourself between 30 to 60 minutes to enjoy the Ice Palace.
The Staubbachfall Lauterbrunnen
We arrived Lauterbrunnen late afternoon and immediately went for a walk through the town and up to the Staubbachfall. A 300 metre waterfall the longest in Switzerland it was flowing very strong on this late summer afternoon.
An easy walk and for us a great introduction to Lauterbrunnen.
Directions: An easy walk from the town.
Lauterbrunnen Main Street, Staubbach Falls
The town is located at the entrance to the valley, 796 metres above sea level, and is the hub for the mountain trains to the various local mountain destinations including the Jungfraujoch - Top of Europe.
The town has 930 inhabitants and countless accommodation types including 9 hotels, 5 hostels, 3 backpacker hostels and 2 camp sites. There are also many holiday apartments.
An attractive town centre with supermarkets, variety shops, bakeries and other casual eating cafes etc. A local doctor who provides full service etc etc.
Why people visit Lauterbrunnen is for the fabulous countryside, lush valleys, rugged mountains, abundant waterfalls and many walking and hiking trails. We visited late summer and had a wonderful 4 days. The highlight being our visit to Jungfrau, something special!
Directions: 20 minutes by local train from Interlaken. Good roads for those travelling by car.
More Reviews (13)
- See All Horse & Carriage Ride - Interlaken
- Pets On "The Top of Europe"
- Warm Clothing & Gloves Essential on...
- See All Interlaken West - Main Train Station
Mikebb's Related Pages
Lauterbrunnen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lauterbrunnen - Switzerland"
- "a great base to explore the Jungfrau-region"
- "Exciting Time in Lauterbrunnen & Jungfrau"
- "HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE LAUTERBRUNNEN!"
- "Can I Retire Here?"
- "Magnificent Lauterbrunnen"
- "Lovely Little Lauterbrunnen....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lauterbrunnen
- Hotels in Lauterbrunnen
- Transportation in Lauterbrunnen
- Nightlife in Lauterbrunnen
- Restaurants in Lauterbrunnen
- Shopping in Lauterbrunnen
- Warnings and Dangers in Lauterbrunnen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Rose Hill Hotels
- Hlavni Mesto Praha Hotels
- Mamak Hotels
- Kampong Pasir Puteh Hotels
Badges & Stats in Lauterbrunnen
- 18 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Lauterbrunnen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lauterbrunnen
- Posted in Travel Tokyo Forum "Re: Cherry Blossoms"
- Wrote a Review Horse & Carriage Ride - Interlaken in Lauterbrunnen Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Horse & Carriage Ride - Interlaken"
- updated a Lauterbrunnen Travel Page "Exciting Time in Lauterbrunnen & Jungfrau"
- Commented on one of riorich55's Lauterbrunnen travel pages
Photos in LauterbrunnenSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandurah Intro, 29 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City Intro, 27 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (38)
Latest Lauterbrunnen hotel reviews
- Camping Jungfrau
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Hotel Staubbach
- 532 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Valley Hostel
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Hotel Silberhorn
- 220 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Chalet Im Rohr
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hotel Restaurant Schuetzen
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Hotel Oberland
- 215 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013