"Still Retains Aspects Of The Old Soviet Union" Vitebsk by Mikebb
Vitebsk Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 31 photos
Our visit was short, arriving late afternoon on a rainy day possibly made things look worse than they really are. New stadiums and public buildings were prominent, however the people in the street looked poor. This was later confirmed by our local guide.
Time was limited as we were travelling from Moscow to Vilnius in Lithuania, and Vitebsk was our overnight stop. We were informed by our tour guide our accommodation was the best hotel in Vitebsk, however it would be lucky to gain 3 stars.
We were informed that of all the breakaway Soviet Union States, Belarus has changed least from its Communist past. The majority of citizens are still poor and the university educated youth wishing to leave the country.
As you walk around the city you will see many War Memorials.
Vitebsk had 100,000 citizens pre World War 2. The city and its people were destroyed diuring the war with only 100 people surviving.
We drove around the city and riverside in the rain, sometimes stopping for photos when the rain eased off. There were... more travel advice
The city centre has many memorials to World War 2, all of which are well worth visiting. On our city tour we passed a... more travel advice
Mikebb's Related Pages
Vitebsk Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Vitebsk
- 7 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Vitebsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vitebsk
Photos in VitebskSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandurah Intro, 29 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City Intro, 27 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues