"An Easy Day Trip From Amsterdam Central" Top 5 Page for this destination Haarlem by Mikebb

Haarlem Travel Guide: 570 reviews and 1,426 photos

On a cloudy late August day we decided to visit Haarlem only 18km from Amsterdam City Central. A very easy day out for 2 people new to Amsterdam. We caught the local train from Amsterdam Centraal and 30 minutes later we arrived at Haarlam Rail Station.

The centre of town, Grote Markt, is most likely a 10 minute walk. However we most likely took 40 minutes as there were many stops to photo and admire the beautiful buildings on each side of the road. Most buildings had beautiful decoration and the year they were built. Many buildings carried a date around"1600".

As the day moved on we soon realised that Haarlem is a beautifully restored city which has preserved its heritage. It is a city of 160,000 people and although we were only there for 5 hours we never sighted a modern building. With such a population I am sure there must be a modern section somewhere.

Whilst in Amsterdam we took 2 other day excursions using public transport. The first to the seaside towns of Volendam and Markem, whilst the other trip was a half day to Zaanse Schans. Details of how we took public transport etc are on my Amsterdam page.

I think the day excursion to Haarlam was our most rewarding excursion from Amsterdam.

• Last visit to Haarlem: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Dec 1, 2012

• swissfondue's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Mike, I agree that Haarlem is very historic and picturesque. I have been lucky enough to visit this wonderful place a couple of times. I bought a winter "puffer" jacket one time for 29 euros. I think it was my best buy in Europe. Lovely photos. The interior of the station is beautiful. Heidi.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

What lovely old buildings - I enjoyed seeing all the details on them :-) The canal scenes are pretty too, despite the cloudy day!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM

What a beautiful place. The canal looks so charming. Nice page Mike!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM

What a fabulous page and so much great information! I enjoy your travels.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM

What a lovely city you found to explore! Enjoyed your tips and photo's, especially that yummy looking dutch Apple cake and cream, enough to make the mouth water. The buildings and those canals I found interesting. I didn't make it to here, so it has been nice to see what it is like!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Hi Mike, I’m glad you had such a rewarding excursion to Haarlem. My one visit to Haarlem was many years ago to see a cousin of mine who was living there at the time. He and his family were living in a lovely historic brick house with rats in the basement. But aside from the rats it was really nice.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM

great pictures, wish we had gotten here, especially the views from the restaurant. we never did get to eat outside, rained all seven days. the decorations on the fronts of the buildings are much finer than in amsterdam for sure. and the double hung bridge - several of those in amsterdam too. eventually. enjoyed these images.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Great pictures of Haarlem! And yes, there are more modern buildings ... not in the city center though, but in the residential areas. Thank you for sharing.

Mikebb

“Enjoy every sight, every day”

Badges & Stats in Haarlem

Have you been to Haarlem?