"A Beautiful Town, A Few Hours From Dublin" Top 5 Page for this destination Kilkenny by Mikebb
Kilkenny Travel Guide: 307 reviews and 658 photos
After a few days in Dublin we picked up a hire car and commenced the trip to Kilkenny. A few hassels in finding our way out of Dublin and with a little help from a pedestrian we were soon on the right road to Kilkenny.
The town of Kilkenny is located in Southeast Ireland and is often said to be Ireland's loveliest inland town. The trip took approximately 2 hours and was an easy drive.
A beautiful town on the River Nore, you will see many old buildings within the town often going back many centuries. The skinny roads weave through the town making driving a challenge and finding a parking spot impossible. The centre of town is definately made for walking and we enjoyed seeing how many of the old buildings were preserved and presently used by business or as public buildings.
On the outskirts of the town there are several magnificent churches which should be visited.
Perhaps the daytime highlight for us was walking the hill to Kilkenny Castle, exploring the parklands and enjoying the magnificent view over the town and River Nore.
We enjoyed a delightful evening dining in one of the local hotels followed by the Irish music which commenced around 9pm. The next morning we drove to Kenmare.
Our overnight visit was most enjoyable. For those who are returning to Dublin I recommend you consider visiting Cashel which is approximately 40 miles further south.
For those who do not wish to drive there is a good train service from Dublin.
We had a light lunch here, enjoyed the sun and outdoor seating, the food was nice and we could watch the activity on the... more travel advice
When entering the town we found it very difficult to park and drove over the bridge several times. Once we found a... more travel advice
Mikebb's Related Pages
Kilkenny Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kilkenny-1st stop on our Ireland adventure"
- "County Kilkenny"
- "A Beautiful Town, A Few Hours From Dublin"
- "Mystical County, Medieval City"
- "Barry's Kilkenny Page"
- "Kilkenny: The Friendliest Place I Ever Did Visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kilkenny
- Hotels in Kilkenny
- Transportation in Kilkenny
- Nightlife in Kilkenny
- Restaurants in Kilkenny
- Shopping in Kilkenny
- Warnings and Dangers in Kilkenny
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kilkenny
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Kilkenny?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kilkenny
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: Paris on a budget"
- Commented on one of Mikebb's Kilkenny travel pages
- Wrote a Review Nice Cafe For Lunch Or Light Meal in Kilkenny Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nice Cafe For Lunch Or Light Meal"
- updated a Kilkenny Travel Page "A Beautiful Town, A Few Hours From Dublin"
Photos in KilkennySee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandurah Intro, 29 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City Intro, 27 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues