"A Beautiful Town, A Few Hours From Dublin" Top 5 Page for this destination Kilkenny by Mikebb

Kilkenny Travel Guide: 307 reviews and 658 photos

Perfect For Overnight Stay

After a few days in Dublin we picked up a hire car and commenced the trip to Kilkenny. A few hassels in finding our way out of Dublin and with a little help from a pedestrian we were soon on the right road to Kilkenny.

The town of Kilkenny is located in Southeast Ireland and is often said to be Ireland's loveliest inland town. The trip took approximately 2 hours and was an easy drive.

A beautiful town on the River Nore, you will see many old buildings within the town often going back many centuries. The skinny roads weave through the town making driving a challenge and finding a parking spot impossible. The centre of town is definately made for walking and we enjoyed seeing how many of the old buildings were preserved and presently used by business or as public buildings.

On the outskirts of the town there are several magnificent churches which should be visited.

The Pub Music Is A Must

Perhaps the daytime highlight for us was walking the hill to Kilkenny Castle, exploring the parklands and enjoying the magnificent view over the town and River Nore.

We enjoyed a delightful evening dining in one of the local hotels followed by the Irish music which commenced around 9pm. The next morning we drove to Kenmare.

Our overnight visit was most enjoyable. For those who are returning to Dublin I recommend you consider visiting Cashel which is approximately 40 miles further south.

Train Service Dublin - Kilkenny

For those who do not wish to drive there is a good train service from Dublin.

• Last visit to Kilkenny: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 2, 2009

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Exploring Kilkenny Castle must have been fun. What a delightful page Mike!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
      Feb 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Hi Dee, Thanks, just arrived home late yesterday from 19 days in Asia, will catch up over the next few days.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Look forward to your adventure:)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2012 at 2:03 AM

What a great time you had here, sounds like a wonderful town to pay a visit!

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Another town I have yet to visit. I think I would be spending more than a few minutes in Matt the Miller's Pub.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Kilkenny has such a lovely castle. I really enjoyed the tour Mike. To be able to see places like this must be wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Nice looking town and castle!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Nice page, Mike. I especially like the pub tip. I didn't make it to Kilkenny on my recent trip to Ireland, but I hope to visit there someday. Cheers, Bill

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2009 at 6:46 AM

Another top notch page. The castle, architecture, B&B, & pubs are all places that I would really enjoy. Again, your photos are brilliant.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Excellent tips Mike!! It is hard to beat your beaut photos of historic stone relics like Kilkenny Castle, Rothe House and Canice's Cathedral! I drove by in 2000, heading from Avoca to Limerick and also later saw one of those amazing old 'round towers'.

Mikebb

“Enjoy every sight, every day”

Badges & Stats in Kilkenny

Have you been to Kilkenny?