"Delightful Fishing Village On The Atlantic Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais by Mikebb
Cascais Travel Guide: 467 reviews and 2,321 photos
Our visit to Portugal was to join a coach tour of Portugal, Morocco and Spain commencing from Lisbon mid September, 2008. This would be half way through our 7 week holiday and I thought it would be a good idea to rest up for the week prior to the tour.
By luck I was able to arrange a time share exchange into a resort in the small seaside town of Cascais located 30 km from Lisbon. Not only did we obtain excellent accommodation but the old fishing village of Cascais was full of old world charm, a beautiful fishing harbour with many of the fisherman still using the age old boats and nets. The town was a favourite holiday place for wealthy Europeans during the 19th and 20th century and some of the mansions have been retained in original condition, being open as museums for the general public.
The rugged Atlantic coastline provided a beautiful backdrop for coastal walks and photographic opportunities. The weather was magnificent with the maximum temperature being around 24C, warm enough to allow you to walk or enjoy a round of golf without getting overly warm. The evenings were warm and ideal for alfresco dining at the multitude of restaurants and cafes.
My original plan was to hire a car during the middle of the week and drive north to Porto or other towns for an overnight stay. However we were enjoying ourselves so much we decided to remain in Cascais and visit the surrounding attractions of Sintra, Estoril and Lisbon using the efficient public transport.
One day we visited Lisbon, only 40 minutes by train, another day to Sintra by local bus. Estoril and its Casino and beautiful beach was only 2 stops on the train. For those interested in Religion there were half day tours to Fatima.
A most popular activity was a round of golf and each morning you would see the transit vans at the hotel entrance collecting the golfers. An expensive day if you select the wrong course.
At the northern end of the Cascais town square you will see the classic Town Hall (City Hall) which is beautifully... more travel advice
This restaurant overlooks a small tidal inlet with views to the Atlantic Ocean, marina and the House of St Maria and... more travel advice
Mikebb's Related Pages
Cascais Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CASCAIS - THE COAST OF KINGS"
- "Delightful Fishing Village On The Atlantic Coast"
- "VTers Cascade into Cascais"
- "Venue for Euromeet 2009"
- "Cascais, (Euromeet 2009)"
- "Spectacular Cascais"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cascais
- Hotels in Cascais
- Transportation in Cascais
- Nightlife in Cascais
- Restaurants in Cascais
- Shopping in Cascais
- Warnings and Dangers in Cascais
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cascais
- 26 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Cascais?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cascais
- Posted in Travel Milan Forum "Day Trips by Train from Milan"
- updated a Cascais Travel Page "Delightful Fishing Village On The Atlantic Coast"
- Commented on one of Mikebb's Cascais tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Aspects Of Cascais"
- Wrote a Review Town Hall - Magnificent Portuguese Architecture in Cascais Favorites
Photos in CascaisSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 59 reviews, 195 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap Intro, 48 reviews, 133 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues