"Delightful Fishing Village On The Atlantic Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais by Mikebb

Cascais Travel Guide: 452 reviews and 2,316 photos

Our visit to Portugal was to join a coach tour of Portugal, Morocco and Spain commencing from Lisbon mid September, 2008. This would be half way through our 7 week holiday and I thought it would be a good idea to rest up for the week prior to the tour.

By luck I was able to arrange a time share exchange into a resort in the small seaside town of Cascais located 30 km from Lisbon. Not only did we obtain excellent accommodation but the old fishing village of Cascais was full of old world charm, a beautiful fishing harbour with many of the fisherman still using the age old boats and nets. The town was a favourite holiday place for wealthy Europeans during the 19th and 20th century and some of the mansions have been retained in original condition, being open as museums for the general public.

The rugged Atlantic coastline provided a beautiful backdrop for coastal walks and photographic opportunities. The weather was magnificent with the maximum temperature being around 24C, warm enough to allow you to walk or enjoy a round of golf without getting overly warm. The evenings were warm and ideal for alfresco dining at the multitude of restaurants and cafes.

My original plan was to hire a car during the middle of the week and drive north to Porto or other towns for an overnight stay. However we were enjoying ourselves so much we decided to remain in Cascais and visit the surrounding attractions of Sintra, Estoril and Lisbon using the efficient public transport.

One day we visited Lisbon, only 40 minutes by train, another day to Sintra by local bus. Estoril and its Casino and beautiful beach was only 2 stops on the train. For those interested in Religion there were half day tours to Fatima.

A most popular activity was a round of golf and each morning you would see the transit vans at the hotel entrance collecting the golfers. An expensive day if you select the wrong course.

• Last visit to Cascais: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 28, 2008

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Hi Dee, thanks for your return visit.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I think you found somewhere very nice to spend a week! I like the look of Cascais!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
      Oct 21, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Thanks Dee, We enjoyed Cascais, and the cheap train connection to Lisbon only 30 minutes away was a bonus.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Enjoying your page so far! Have run out of time so will return later.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I will re visti Cascais soon.

Ciao!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

How did I miss this page! What character and what charm! Excellent page!

• May 13, 2011 at 1:08 PM

A1 info Mikebbs thank you very much ,i hope to enjoy my holiday as much as you enjoyed yours THANKS

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Super restaurant tips. Lots of information with keen insights. Seems as though there is plenty to do with the museums, lighthouse, beaches, fine restaurants, and that lovely hotel/apartment.

• Brittwill09's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Hello Mikebb! my sister, grandfather, and i are taking a trip to Madeira Island and are going to spend three days in Cascais. your VT page gave us a good idea as to what we want to explore while we are there! thank you and happy trails!

• Balam's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Restaurant Reijos looks a nice place, I have added it to my trip planner and will dine there while i am in Cascais, Some other great tips and ideas, Thankyou

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Cascais looks like a delightful stop! I would have loved the Castro-Guimaraes Museum, beaches, cliffs and dwellings - not to mention Museum do Mar! We visited Lisbon and Sintra but unfortunately no time left for Cascais.

Mikebb

“Enjoy every sight, every day”

Badges & Stats in Cascais

Have you been to Cascais?

Latest Activity in Cascais