"Fascinating City - History & Colour Everywhere" Madrid by Mikebb
Madrid Travel Guide: 5,306 reviews and 10,727 photos
This was our second visit to Madrid if you count the one hour we had in the city during 1993 when we arrived at Madrid airport and caught a taxi to Atocha Train Station for our journey to Alicante.
This visit was much longer, for comparison it was 41 hours, a major improvement on our 1993 visit, however definetly far too short to do justice to this fine city.
When we visit most cities we usually manage to visit most of the major attractions, at worst what we do not manage to visit we usually take a Hop On Hop Off bus tour and manage a glimpse.
We left Old Madrid with an appreciation of the city but not a detailed knowledge. There is so much history in this city since Felipe II chose it as his capital in 1561. At that time it had a population of 20,000.
The modern city has retained its past with wide streets, retention of the old buildings, some centuries old. The beautiful palaces and churches together with the magnificent fountains, parks and monuments make Madrid an ideal city to visit.
Our last night on tour and also in Madrid was an enjoyable dinner with fine local entertainers. I recall the speciality... more travel advice
This is a spectacular Palace and do not miss the opportunity to visit. We chose not to visit and preferred to look... more travel advice
Mikebb's Related Pages
Madrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "¡Bienvenido a Madrid!/Welcome to Madrid!"
- "Madrid is where I live"
- "Madrid: My home for 3 fantastic weeks!"
- "Home is where you're always from"
- "WONDERFUL MADRID"
- "As we say in Andalucia, Madri"
- "Hablemos de Madrid (Let's talk about Madrid)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madrid
- Hotels in Madrid
- Transportation in Madrid
- Nightlife in Madrid
- Restaurants in Madrid
- Shopping in Madrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Madrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madrid
- 17 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Madrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madrid
- Posted in Travel Asia Forum "Re: Asian travel guide"
- updated a Madrid Travel Page "Fascinating City - History & Colour Everywhere"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Streetscenes - Beautiful Buildings"
- Wrote a Review Night Out In Madrid - Dinner & Panoramic Drive in Madrid Things to Do
- Commented on one of scottishvisitor's Madrid travel pages
Photos in MadridSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandurah Intro, 29 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City Intro, 27 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
Latest Madrid hotel reviews
- Hotel Villa Real
- 329 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Mayorazgo Hotel Madrid
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013
- Lusso Infantas
- 237 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Best Western Arosa
- 344 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Ibis Madrid Centro
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Auditorium Madrid
- 196 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Mad Hostel
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Hostal Aguilar
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2012
- Zenit Abeba
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Ibis Madrid Valentin Beato
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- United World International Hostel
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 5, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Madrid
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2006
- El Coloso
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013