"Magnificent Wetlands - Birdlife, Crocodiles" Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park by Mikebb
Kakadu National Park Travel Guide: 274 reviews and 971 photos
Our visit to Kakadu National Park during our 10 day holiday in the "Top End" of Australia was the highlight of our visit to the Northern Territory.
I had previously visited Kakadu in February 1999 during the wet season which in itself was amazing, however due to the vast amount of waters the wetlands were totally covered by water. Birdlife migrates during the wet season and although we went Barramundi fishing on 2 days we never sighted any birds or crocodiles.
Our recent visit was to show my wife some of this fascinating country, to enjoy the beautiful countryside, the waterfalls and billabongs, the rivers and wetlands teaming with birdlife, crocodiles and numerous other animals. We also took the opportunity to learn more about the original owners of this country, the Australian Aboriginal people.
The park is home to 1,000 plant species, a quarter of Australia's freshwater fish species, and more than a third of its birds.
Located 171 km south east of Darwin it is less than a 3 hour drive on sealed roads and most of the major tourist attractions can be accessed on sealed roads.
Kakudu National Park is situated 12 to 14 degrees south of the Equator and has a Monsoonal climate with definite Wet and Dry seasons.The dry season is May to September with the best weather, in my opinion, being July and August.
The Kakadu National Park was established in 1981 and covers an area of 20,000 square kilometres. Jointly managed by the Government and the traditional owners, the Bininj People who have lived in this area for at least 40,000 years.
The park is World Heritage Listed for both its Natural and Cultural values, being amongst a few sites that have gained dual listing.
An extremely old park with the bedrock underlying the sandstone plateau and gorges being1.6 billion years old.
White people discovered the area during the second half of the 1800's, their influence on this area being for less than the last 150 years.
Whilst on Arnhem Land the Aboriginal Guides explained the use of many of their weapons, how they were made from local... more travel advice
After we had completed the 1 km circular track which took us to the Aboriginal rock art sites we then continued on to... more travel advice
Mikebb's Related Pages
Kakadu National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kakadu and Arnhem Land with "VT Survivor""
- "Kakadu National Park"
- "VT Darwin Survivor Outback Trip 2008"
- "Magnificent Wetlands - Birdlife, Crocodiles"
- "Kakadu National Park - Australia's Best"
- "Kakadu National Park"
- "Kakadu National Park - A Special Place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kakadu National Park
- Hotels in Kakadu National Park
- Transportation in Kakadu National Park
- Restaurants in Kakadu National Park
- Shopping in Kakadu National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kakadu National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kakadu National Park
- 24 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Kakadu National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kakadu National Park
- Posted in Travel Rome Forum "Re: Your Best Tips"
- updated a Kakadu National Park Travel Page "Magnificent Wetlands - Birdlife, Crocodiles"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Magnificent Wetlands - Birdlife, Crocodiles"
- Wrote a Review Arnhem Land Guide Demonstrates Weapons in Kakadu National Park Things to Do
- Commented on one of aussirose's Kakadu National Park travel pages
Photos in Kakadu National ParkSee All Photos (91)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Siem Reap Intro, 48 reviews, 133 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandurah Intro, 29 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues