"Sun City, Ideal First Visit To South Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City by Mikebb
Sun City Travel Guide: 312 reviews and 836 photos
I had been wanting to visit Africa for many years but never managed it as my wife was very concerned about safety. When we decided to take a cruise to Alaska during June 2007 I said we would buy Round The World air tickets to break up the long flight from Australia.
I chose Sun City on the edge of the Pilanesburg National Park and approximately 200 km from Johanesburg for our 4 day African stopover. Our package included private return transfer from the airport to our accommodation in Sun City; the journey taking close to 2 hours with many interesting sights along the way including the isolated sprawling" settlements" of the indigenous population.
Many people believe that Sun City is limited to the luxury Hotel, Palace Of The Lost City or the casino. For those more active and interested in activities outside their hotel accommodation you can enjoy wildlife safaris to the various game parks, a game of golf on the international standard Gary Player course, jogging trails, Motseng Cultural Village or just walk around the grounds and enjoy the magnificent gardens and forest.
We visited Sun City mid May and had beautiful clear days with blue sky, however be prepared for cold nights and mornings with the temperature falling to 0 Centigrade. We were caught out with not bringing enough warm clothes.
This park covers 50,000 hectares and was formed by volcanic eruptions over 1.2 million years ago. The area has been populated for thousands of years by local tribes and then white settlement mainly for farming. In 1979 the district was proclaimed a National Park and over the next 15 years the land has been restocked with game and the scars of human settlement removed.
A 110km peripheral Big Game fence was erected over the very rugged terrain and it now contains a vast variety of wild animals including the "Big Five". During our safari we saw elephant, black and white rhino, giraffe, zebra, hippo etc.
We found Sun City and the Pilanesberg National Park to be a most enjoyable holiday, a fantastic introduction to Africa and a yearning to return and enjoy other parts of this exotic country.
The Casino is full of glitz and promoted glamour. No different to most casinos throughout the world so you should be... more travel advice
Take a walk down to waterworld where the jetties and boats are located and you will see these large fish lazing around... more travel advice
- See All Nice Decor, Good Food
- Wild Monkeys May Turn On You or Child
- See All Pilanesberg National Park - Map
Mikebb's Related Pages
Sun City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sun City Will Rock You"
- "Sun City, Ideal First Visit To South Africa"
- "Africa's Kingdom of Pleasure"
- "Valley of Pleasure"
- "SUN CITY --- A FANTASYLAND"
- "Sun City Paradise in the heart of ancient Volcano"
- "Pilansberg Game Reserve, Lost City & Sun City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sun City
- Hotels in Sun City
- Transportation in Sun City
- Nightlife in Sun City
- Restaurants in Sun City
- Shopping in Sun City
- Warnings and Dangers in Sun City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sun City
- 27 Reviews
- 116 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Sun City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sun City
- Posted in Travel Milan Forum "Day Trips by Train from Milan"
- updated a Sun City Travel Page "Sun City, Ideal First Visit To South Africa"
- Commented on one of Mikebb's Sun City travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "In & Around The Palace Of The Lost City"
- Wrote a Review Sun City Casino in Sun City Tourist Traps
Photos in Sun CitySee All Photos (116)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 59 reviews, 195 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap Intro, 48 reviews, 133 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues