"Sun City, Ideal First Visit To South Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City by Mikebb

Sun City Travel Guide: 311 reviews and 834 photos

I had been wanting to visit Africa for many years but never managed it as my wife was very concerned about safety. When we decided to take a cruise to Alaska during June 2007 I said we would buy Round The World air tickets to break up the long flight from Australia.

I chose Sun City on the edge of the Pilanesburg National Park and approximately 200 km from Johanesburg for our 4 day African stopover. Our package included private return transfer from the airport to our accommodation in Sun City; the journey taking close to 2 hours with many interesting sights along the way including the isolated sprawling" settlements" of the indigenous population.

Much To See & Do Outside The Casino.

Many people believe that Sun City is limited to the luxury Hotel, Palace Of The Lost City or the casino. For those more active and interested in activities outside their hotel accommodation you can enjoy wildlife safaris to the various game parks, a game of golf on the international standard Gary Player course, jogging trails, Motseng Cultural Village or just walk around the grounds and enjoy the magnificent gardens and forest.

We visited Sun City mid May and had beautiful clear days with blue sky, however be prepared for cold nights and mornings with the temperature falling to 0 Centigrade. We were caught out with not bringing enough warm clothes.

Pilanesberg National Park

This park covers 50,000 hectares and was formed by volcanic eruptions over 1.2 million years ago. The area has been populated for thousands of years by local tribes and then white settlement mainly for farming. In 1979 the district was proclaimed a National Park and over the next 15 years the land has been restocked with game and the scars of human settlement removed.

A 110km peripheral Big Game fence was erected over the very rugged terrain and it now contains a vast variety of wild animals including the "Big Five". During our safari we saw elephant, black and white rhino, giraffe, zebra, hippo etc.

We found Sun City and the Pilanesberg National Park to be a most enjoyable holiday, a fantastic introduction to Africa and a yearning to return and enjoy other parts of this exotic country.

• Last visit to Sun City: May 2007
  • Intro Updated May 24, 2008

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2013 at 6:44 AM

this was the dreams of Sol Kerzner realised, during the "independent" years of Bophutoswana and Lucas Mangope. Anybody know where these two or their offsrping are doing nowadays?

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Interesting travel pages on Sun City with interesting tourist attractions such as Waterworld, Animal Farm, the Palace and the Casino. Thanks for your great virtual tour. Thanks also for visiting our South Korea travel pages. ~ho & pang

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2010 at 11:06 PM

What a fabulous place, Mike. I just love your photos of the animals in the National Park and of course, the elephant story. I had a similar experience in Mykonos with a flock of sheep and a donkey!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Enjoyed all your photos and detail. Great place for kids - small & tall - is that a falcon in your photo? Grazie, <(•¿•)>

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2009 at 8:18 AM

I am so glad you found your wallet - I hate it when tourists lose things never to be found - it could have spoilt your holiday, thanks for visiting my pages.

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2009 at 12:26 AM

You have worked hard and very well with your tips and photos that are very interesting

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2009 at 2:23 PM

This certainly is a mecca for local in the country and many from the world. Good job of presenting the things to do.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Hi Mike! Nice to see you enjoyed Sun City (some people says it's too commercial, but I liked it still)...nice pages, Greetings from Arizona, Norman :)

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Interesting page! Your photos of the animals are brilliant!

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2008 at 10:35 PM

A very good page, not just on Sun City, but also the Pilansberg area! I hope you do get the chance to visit our country again, Pierre

Mikebb

“Enjoy every sight, every day”

Badges & Stats in Sun City

Have you been to Sun City?

Latest Activity in Sun City