"Colmar - Ideal Day Trip From Strasbourg" Top 5 Page for this destination Colmar by Mikebb
Colmar Travel Guide: 367 reviews and 1,175 photos
We took a day visit to Colmar during the last days of August 2012. We booked 4 nights accommodation in Strasbourg with the intention of visiting other towns within the Alsace region.
We attempted to join a day bus tour that included Colmar and several wineries, but found the tours fully booked and then decided to do it by ourselves. As it often happens, disappointment turns into joy as we had a most wonderful day.
The regular train service took approximately one hour from Strasbourg to Colmar, and with window seats we enjoyed the countryside.
Colmar is well signposted and we decided not to wait for the local bus and walk the km to the old town. An easy walk mostly through parks, but one could have walked on the paved footpath.
On entering the old town we were amazed at the amount of old buildings retained, just streets and streets of double story houses and buildings, all well preserved, wooden beams showing everywhere. Many buildings are from the 15th century or earlier. The old Tanneries have been converted into beautiful buildings retaining most of the original features.
Our day trip to Colmar was the best day of our visit.
Started in 1283, the construction of the Dominican church mainly dates back to the first half of the 14th century. It is... more travel advice
The photo of the centuries old Cloisters building was taken from the top floor of the museum main building. Imagine how... more travel advice
Mikebb's Related Pages
Colmar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweet Little Colmar"
- "Colmar - Ideal Day Trip From Strasbourg"
- "Our favoured Alsatian city"
- "Colmar - German influence in France"
- "Colmar, capital of the former Décapole"
- "Home of Miss Liberty"
- "Colours of Colmar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colmar
- Hotels in Colmar
- Transportation in Colmar
- Nightlife in Colmar
- Restaurants in Colmar
- Shopping in Colmar
- Warnings and Dangers in Colmar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colmar
- 30 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Colmar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colmar
- Posted in Travel Singapore Forum "Re: Cheap hotel, safe..."
- updated a Colmar Travel Page "Colmar - Ideal Day Trip From Strasbourg"
- Commented on one of Mikebb's Colmar tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dominican Church - Eglaise Dominicains"
- Wrote a Review Dominican Church - Eglaise Dominicains about Churches in Colmar Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 59 reviews, 195 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap Intro, 48 reviews, 133 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues