"A Day On The Plateau & Rainforest" Dorrigo by Mikebb
Dorrigo Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 157 photos
We were having a few days on the coast at Coffs Harbour and decided to visit the Dorrigo Forest. About an hour's drive brought us to the bottom of the plateau and as we wound our way up to Dorrigo we progressively saw the landscape change with waterfalls gushing down by the road, the virgin rainforest taking hold over the hills and valleys.
Upon reaching the plateau we were greeted by rich farmland and the lovely old town of Dorrigo, most likely very similar to how it was 50 years ago.
The Dorrigo main street has an assortment of business including bank, medical practice, post office, supermarket, service centres and the Dorrigo Heritage Hotel Motel which is a centre point for locals and visitors.
The volcanic plateau with its rich red earth originally supported a magnificent rainforest. The cedars were felled by the early settlers during the late 19th and early 20th centuries for dairying, pasture, potato and fruit growing.
Some of the rainforest remains , and now is protected.
The town's name is attributed to an early settler and veteran of the Napoleonic Wars who wished to pay homage to one of his fellow officers, Don Dorrigo, a Spanish general.
For those who would like to know more about NSW National Parks visit www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au
Just out of town there is a beautiful waterfall worth seeing. A 5 minute drive from town. more travel advice
There are many trails to walk or hike, some long others short, there is a trail suitable for everyone. When you get... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Aspects Of Dorrigo
Written May 9, 2016
More About The Rainforest
Mikebb's Related Pages
Dorrigo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The rainforest"
- "A Day On The Plateau & Rainforest"
- "Dorrigo and Dorrigo National Park."
- "Bicycling Touring Australia - NSW"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dorrigo
- 6 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Dorrigo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dorrigo
Photos in DorrigoSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 59 reviews, 195 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap Intro, 48 reviews, 133 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues