"World's Largest Sand Island, World Heritage Listed" Top 5 Page for this destination Fraser Island by Mikebb
Fraser Island Travel Guide: 166 reviews and 465 photos
Whilst holidaying at Noosa Heads on Queensland's Sunshine Coast we decided to take a one day four wheel drive guided tour from Noosa. This was the best decision of our 5 week holiday and what a fabulous day trip it turned out to be. A sparkling new top of range vehicle, 4 tourists and a pleasant guide with all the knowledge to satisfy our questions.
Fraser Island is a World Heritage Listed sand island situated several hours drive north of Brisbane. Stretching more than 123 km and covering 184,000ha, it has extensive subtropical rainforests, pristine freshwater creeks and lakes with exotic ferns and palms and numerous species of birds. It is also the home of the purest breed of dingo, the Australian native dog.
The day started with a 6:30am pick up and then quickly down to the Noosa River for transfer by ferry to the other side of river, then along the beach past Sunshine Beach and the Coloured Sands at speeds exceeding 60 km per hour. An hour later we were on the barge transporting us to Fraser Island and a further trip along the 75 Mile Beach until we entered a bush track that took us to the pristine Wanggoolba Creek.
Further in from the coast we came to Lake McKenzie , a large freshwater lake with beautiful coloured blue water, the colour changing as the waters deepen. Ideal for swimming or just paddling and walking in the fine sand. Many chose just to sit on the sand , soak up the sun and enjoy the view.
The trip to Fraser Island along Rainbow Beach was surrounded by beauty, the sparkling blue Coral Sea on one side and the "Coloured Sands" on the other. We were not isolated on this drive as the beach is a gazetted road and has considerable traffic, in fact local police have been seen on duty with their speed cameras. Some areas have beach shacks and there were fishermen scattered along the coast.
Walking around the Wagnggoolba Creek area our guide showed us the many holes in the ground, the home of the Funnel Web... more travel advice
Whilst having our bbq lunch at Lake McKenzie I noticed a large goanna at the other end of the picnic area, just waiting... more travel advice
Written Dec 20, 2006
McKenzie Lake In Detail
Written Dec 21, 2006
Aspects Of Fraser Island
Mikebb's Related Pages
Fraser Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World's Largest Sand Island, World Heritage Listed"
- "Fraser Island: all the Outdoor you want"
- "Fraser Island...The world's largest Sand Island"
- "Largest All-Sand Island in the World!"
- "Fraser Island - paradise on earth"
- "Sweetberry's Frazer Island Page"
- "Worlds Biggest Sand Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fraser Island
- Hotels in Fraser Island
- Transportation in Fraser Island
- Nightlife in Fraser Island
- Restaurants in Fraser Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Fraser Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fraser Island
- 15 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Fraser Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fraser Island
Photos in Fraser IslandSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 47 reviews, 161 photos
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap Intro, 48 reviews, 133 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues