"Four Days On Beautiful Hamilton Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Island by Mikebb

Hamilton Island Travel Guide: 144 reviews and 417 photos

Hamilton Island is the largest inhabited island amongst the 74 islands in the Whitsundays group. Located just off the coast of tropical north Queensland it is easily reached in 90 minutes by regular domestic flights from Brisbane, or by ferry service from Shute Harbour which is very close to Airlie Beach on the mainland.
It is a fabulous resort offering everything you could wish for, plenty of activities for those wishing to partake in water sports, tennis, bushwalking etc, or for those who just want to rest by one of the 7 pools or find a shady spot on the sandy beach.

A casual walk through the palm lined pathways with the balmy island breeze puts you in the mood for a nice coffee or beer by the pool or in one of the many bars overlooking the pool and beach. Always high in the trees you will hear and see the great variety of colourful Australian parrots and birds.

Our 4 night holiday could be considered relaxing as we did not partake in the free kayaking or sailboarding watersports, avoided hiking the hillside trails, but enjoyed lounging by the pool and also the splendid meals at the various restaurants. We ventured out on a day trip on the Fantasea Ferry on their 3 island cruise which took us to the mainland at Shute Harbour where we then took a 15 nminute bus ride to Airlie Beach, a haven for international yachts. Back on the ferry to Long Island for an hour to view this family style resort, and then onto the upmarket Daydream Island for several hours to enjoy its great facilities. A great day out and I will share this day with you on separate pages.

• Pros:Beautiful Island To Relax or Be Active
  • In a nutshell:Too short a holiday, memories will remain
  • Last visit to Hamilton Island: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 24, 2007

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2012 at 5:25 AM

Hi Mike, I have only been to the Whitsundays for one day as a guided tour, so it was very interesting for me to read how it is to stay in a resort for a few days. I especially liked your pictures of One Tree Hill, and the beautiful sculptures in the shop!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2011 at 4:09 AM

This looks like a great island resort. Queensland has been in the news a lot lately because of the flooding, but I hope at least the offshore islands have been spared.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2009 at 5:05 AM

Another beautiful place to hang my hat...If I could I would!! I'm starting to think I need to plan an Australian ADVENTURE....sooner than later..Great page Mike..beautiful photos and good tips!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Wonderful Hamilton Island page! Whitsunday Islands certainly look interesting to visit and explore. The Marina at Hamilton Harbour and the sunset in your photo indeed look amazing. ~ho & pang

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2009 at 2:52 AM

Hi driven up past here several times - my usual drive and drive and see as much as poss & make the budget stretch as far as...next when Im back home in Oz I will come see these lovely 'off my beaten path' places!beautiful.

• Nov 10, 2008 at 3:49 AM

Hello Mike, We were planning a beach wedding on Hamilton Island 27th Jan - we were wanting to know your thoughts on the weather? Kind Regards Gemma

• hendo4's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2007 at 10:37 PM

thanks mate. your page has given me some ideas for the trip im taking my wife on in october

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2007 at 9:34 AM

Very good page, as your usual, Mike. Outstanding pictures of sunset over the Whitsunday Islands!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2007 at 1:53 AM

Wow, I love reading your pages Mike!! One can feel the excitement in your words :o) There's a few additions since we were there but essentially it's the same! ..A wonderful place to relax!! Cheers, Ann :o)

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Nice page Mike - never been here, but your shopping tip is enough to get me interested!!

Mikebb

“Enjoy every sight, every day”

Badges & Stats in Hamilton Island

Have you been to Hamilton Island?