"Nimbin, Still Retains The Hippies" Top 5 Page for this destination Nimbin by Mikebb
Nimbin Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 68 photos
Located in the subtropical foothills of northern New South Wales approximately 30km inland from the coast Nimbin is the "Alternative Capital of Australia". The town shot to fame throughout Australia in 1974 when the Aquarius Festival was held in paddocks on the outskirts of town. The town appealed to many of the festival's alternative lifestyle devotees and they settled here in communes and developed an alternative lifestyle including the growing of organic food in the fertile volcanic soils, art and craft industries, alternative power supplies etc etc. The community now includes the next generation and as you walk through the town you will see the "hippies", old and new going about their business.
From our base in Byron Bay we took a leisurely drive through the hinterland towns, most of which have a high level of residents seeking an alternative lifestyle. All the towns we visited have a rural background of dairy farming, timbercutting etc etc and retain some beautiful buildings from years gone by. Our first stop was Mullumbimby, about a 20 minute drive west of Byron, and well worth stopping for an hour. We then drove on to Murwillumbah a prosperous rural town on the Tweed River where we had a great lunch. Then onto Nimbin for the highlight of the day where we spent several hours walking through the town. The town has an Aboriginal theatre with regular performances, paintings and crafts. Late afternoon returning to Byron we passed through the large rural town of Lismore.All in All a most enjoyable day with limited driving, good sightseeing and entertainment combined with fresh local food.
Nimbin is a great place for backpackers, plenty of untouched rainforest, organic food aplenty, aboriginal culture, and a history lesson on "the Age of Aquarius" and the "High 70's".
- Pros:You Are Sure Of a "High Time"
- In a nutshell:Those Were The Harmless Days
Hopefully the map of the Northern Rivers Region will assist you in finding where Nimbin is located. It is not far from... more travel advice
I do not know much about these, but they are located in a park next to the Nimbin Regional Gallery. I would think they... more travel advice
Mikebb's Related Pages
Nimbin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nimbin, Still Retains The Hippies"
- "Nimbin - Home of the Alternative livestyle"
- "Nimbin...They liked my colours"
- "Nimbin- the alternate lifestyle capital."
- "Bicycle Touring Australia - Nimbin"
- "Nimbin - an alternative town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nimbin
- Hotels in Nimbin
- Transportation in Nimbin
- Restaurants in Nimbin
- Shopping in Nimbin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nimbin
- 17 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Nimbin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nimbin
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandurah Intro, 29 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City Intro, 27 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues