"Best Destination On NSW North Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Macquarie by Mikebb
Port Macquarie Travel Guide: 159 reviews and 455 photos
Whilst travelling from Brisbane to Sydney we stopped at Port Macquarie for a week and enjoyed this beautiful town and surrounding districts. It was the commencement of Spring , but it could have been any month of the year as Port Macquarie enjoys a perfect year round climate.
Located 560 km south of Brisbane and 400 km north of Sydney it is a perfect place for a break when travelling between these State capital cities. The area is strong on history with the town being established in 1821 as a penal settlement, with convicts moved from the overcrowded gaols of Newcastle.The district slowly developed through timber clearing which developed into a flourishing industry, agriculture and a fishing industry. Today Port Macquarie is a substantial resort town at the mouth of the Hastings River.
Located at the mouth of the Hastings River as it enters the Pacific Ocean it is the ideal location for water activities, whether it be water sports, surfing, diving, whale watching, fishing charters etc. etc.
There are many ferries operating on the Hastings River offering a variety of cruises morning cruises, however we took the ultimate cruise to Timbertown at Wauhope. Take the hour long cruise up river to the re-enactment town of Timbertown and enjoy life in the 19th centry when timber cutting was the lifeblood of the settlement. This is a great day out and for those who do not wish to cruise the river you can drive to Timbertown in 30 minutes with free entry to the village.
We did not hang around the town but took several trips up and down the coast, into the hinterland to see the small towns and rainforest. Some of the more interesting places visited were the small town of Comboyne, just 40km away which was holding its Spring Festival, another day to the coastal town of South West Rocks and then onto the historic Trial Bay Jail which is well worth visiting. Just 10 minutes drive further on is the Smokey Cape Lighthouse which you must see.
During our 7 day visit we also visited the rural towns of Kempsey and Taree which service the rural community.
Individual pages to be constructed for Comboyne, South West Rocks incorporating Trial Bay Goal and Smokey Cape Lighthouse.
- Pros:Early Australian History, great natural beauty
- In a nutshell:A great holiday destination, abundance of good activities.
This market is located approx 5 minutes drive from town along the Hastings River Drive. There were about 40 stalls... more travel advice
The oldest Methodist church on the north coast of New South Wales built in 1845 under the leadership of William... more travel advice
Mikebb's Related Pages
Port Macquarie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PORT MACQUARIE"
- "Best Destination On NSW North Coast"
- "Port Macquarie - not just for holidays"
- "Holiday destination on the Mid North Coast."
- "SECOND PORT OF CALL"
- "Port Macquarie"
- "A nice little Australian town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Macquarie
- Hotels in Port Macquarie
- Transportation in Port Macquarie
- Restaurants in Port Macquarie
- Shopping in Port Macquarie
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Macquarie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Macquarie
- 26 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Port Macquarie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Macquarie
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Kensington area"
- updated a Port Macquarie Travelogue "Port Macquarie & Around"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Port Macquarie & Around"
- Commented on one of unravelau's Port Macquarie travel pages
- Wrote a Review Sunday Market - Art Society Market & Bazaar in Port Macquarie Things to Do
Photos in Port MacquarieSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap Intro, 48 reviews, 133 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues