"Best Destination On NSW North Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Macquarie by Mikebb

Port Macquarie Travel Guide: 159 reviews and 455 photos

Whilst travelling from Brisbane to Sydney we stopped at Port Macquarie for a week and enjoyed this beautiful town and surrounding districts. It was the commencement of Spring , but it could have been any month of the year as Port Macquarie enjoys a perfect year round climate.

Located 560 km south of Brisbane and 400 km north of Sydney it is a perfect place for a break when travelling between these State capital cities. The area is strong on history with the town being established in 1821 as a penal settlement, with convicts moved from the overcrowded gaols of Newcastle.The district slowly developed through timber clearing which developed into a flourishing industry, agriculture and a fishing industry. Today Port Macquarie is a substantial resort town at the mouth of the Hastings River.

Water Everywhere, Ocean, River and Rainforest

Located at the mouth of the Hastings River as it enters the Pacific Ocean it is the ideal location for water activities, whether it be water sports, surfing, diving, whale watching, fishing charters etc. etc.

There are many ferries operating on the Hastings River offering a variety of cruises morning cruises, however we took the ultimate cruise to Timbertown at Wauhope. Take the hour long cruise up river to the re-enactment town of Timbertown and enjoy life in the 19th centry when timber cutting was the lifeblood of the settlement. This is a great day out and for those who do not wish to cruise the river you can drive to Timbertown in 30 minutes with free entry to the village.

Plenty of Interesting Day Excursions

We did not hang around the town but took several trips up and down the coast, into the hinterland to see the small towns and rainforest. Some of the more interesting places visited were the small town of Comboyne, just 40km away which was holding its Spring Festival, another day to the coastal town of South West Rocks and then onto the historic Trial Bay Jail which is well worth visiting. Just 10 minutes drive further on is the Smokey Cape Lighthouse which you must see.
During our 7 day visit we also visited the rural towns of Kempsey and Taree which service the rural community.

Individual pages to be constructed for Comboyne, South West Rocks incorporating Trial Bay Goal and Smokey Cape Lighthouse.

• Pros:Early Australian History, great natural beauty
  • Cons:Nil
  • In a nutshell:A great holiday destination, abundance of good activities.
  • Last visit to Port Macquarie: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 18, 2007

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Really nice page...I know I have been there sometime way back...does the Highway pass through or do you need to turn off?
    I have read through your reviews...very comprehensive...we will have to call in ...or make a special trip.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2012 at 4:24 AM

An interesting-looking place. I think I would like the river cruise and the observatory, particularly.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Love the sailing ship, sea wall mural, statues, and Cafe 66 looks delightful too! Excellent page Mike!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2009 at 3:38 AM

I'd have to agree with you that Port Macquarie has a lot going for it. Grown a lot since I first visited in about 1960, in those days still some bricks lying around on the site of the old convict jail!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2009 at 11:52 PM

You have great distances there.... Nice places to enjoy... Thanks, mate!

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2008 at 8:44 PM

I love this totem pole!! great pic. I have fond memories of the north coast, too. Thanks for all the nice comments on my pages and ratings!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2008 at 1:47 AM

Nice tips Mike!

• Jan 28, 2008 at 10:09 AM

Nice home page and tips! Nikos

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2007 at 5:26 PM

You're right Mike - a beautiful part of Australia. I know this neck of the woods very well - with family living in the region I've been visiting there for years and there's always something new to see and do.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 10:09 PM

You have such a gogeous country, Australia will be forever in my travel dreams!One day I will go there!

Mikebb

“Enjoy every sight, every day”

Badges & Stats in Port Macquarie

Have you been to Port Macquarie?