"A Highland Paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Da Lat by Mikebb
Da Lat Travel Guide: 252 reviews and 807 photos
After 4 days of traffic chaos in HCMC we were looking forward to our 3 day visit to the peaceful highlands and country setting of Da Lat. We were on a group holiday with 27 members of our local orchid society visiting HCMC, the Cat Tien National Park and Da Lat. We chose to miss the national park and take a tour to the Mekong Delta, and later make our own way to Da Lat.
Da Lat was discovered in 1893 by Dr Alexandre Yersin and the city was established in 1912. The city is built on a plateau 1,500 metres above sea level and enjoys a mild climate. It was a place which the French officials soon adopted and built villas for summer residence to enable them to escape the heat and humidity of the Vietnamese summer. With the rich soil of the plateau it was developed into a food and flower bowl and the local Lat people who own the farm land have become reasonably wealthy.
For those who enjoy nature there are many hiking trails, lakes, waterfalls , forests and gardens throughout the district. For golfers there are several nice courses. During our visit we enjoyed the fantastic local cuisine, everywhere we ate , whether it be in an upmarket hotel or local restaurant the food was omost enjoyable, particularly the locally grown vegetables.
I have written many tips of our visit to Da Lat, however the Travelogues below will also give you an appreciation of the location.
About 3 hours into our road trip we arrived a large floating village as we crossed the river. There must have been 50 or... more travel advice
When you visit the Lat Village it is worth walking over to the Cathedral. From the outside the iron clad building looks... more travel advice
Mikebb's Related Pages
Da Lat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Da Lat"
- "Da Lat High Country"
- "A Highland Paradise"
- "Still not sure about this City"
- "Da Lat."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Da Lat
- Hotels in Da Lat
- Transportation in Da Lat
- Nightlife in Da Lat
- Restaurants in Da Lat
- Shopping in Da Lat
- Warnings and Dangers in Da Lat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Da Lat
- 20 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Da Lat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Da Lat
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandurah Intro, 29 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City Intro, 27 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues