Ho Chi Minh City Restaurant Tips by Mikebb

Ho Chi Minh City Restaurants: 581 reviews and 1,100 photos

Two Large Tiered Platters For High Tea - Ho Chi Minh City

Two Large Tiered Platters For High Tea

Caravelle Hotel: High Tea - More Than We Could Manage

The Caravelle is perhaps the best hotel in HCMC and when I heard they put on a High Tea I thought we should try it. We normally try to take High Tea in every country we visit, The Peninsular Hotel is reputed to provide the best, but having being there several years ago I think it has just lost its title to the Caravelle.

High Tea starts early, it was already in progress at 1 pm when we called by to enquire what time to arrive. Luckily we had not had lunch so we were quickly into the Lounge Bar area and given a table looking out the widow facing the square in front of the Municiple Theatre and were able to watch the world go by for the next 90 minutes.

The 3 tiered stands arrived with each level laden with delightful food, sandwiches, pastries, small scones, jam and cream, fruit tarts, chocolate slice etc etc. Far too much to eat however as we were there for a lenghth of time we made a decent effort, I had to help my wife and paid the penalty from eating a little too much chocolate. There was a choice of coffee or tea and we chose tea which came in large pots and topped up on request.

The staff were first class, no pressure to vacate your table although they were turning away customers.

A right decent afternoon at US $6 per person.

Address: 19 Lam Son Square, HCMC, District 1

Comparison: about average

Directions: 100 metres from the Opera House ( Municiple Theatre)

Phone: 823 4999

Price: less than US$10

Rating: 5

Theme: Other

Website: http://www.caravellehotel.com

Nice Coffee At Gloria Jeans - Ho Chi Minh City

Nice Coffee At Gloria Jeans

Gloria Jeans's Coffees: The Place For A Good Coffee

You can easily get a coffee in HCMC, but it will nearly always be extremely strong having being made from locally grown coffee beans. We were yearning for a coffee similar to home when we came across Gloria Jeans in the centre of District 1, very close to the major hotels.

We did not walk by but immediately went inside and ordered 2 regular lattes, they came piping hot and exactly the same as the ones back home. Thanks to this great franchise; and we returned every day. In our travels around HCMC we only saw one other Gloria Jeans, it is a very large city and there are most likely many more, just keep your eyes open. Prices are similar to home.

Favorite Dish: Any coffe , but we usually have latte and often an almond croissant.

Address: 131 -133 Dong Khoi Street, HCMC. District 1

Comparison: more expensive than average

Directions: Starting from the Opera House, walk along Dong Khoi past the Caravelle Hotel corner and Gloria Jeans will be approximately 200 metres further along the road on the right hand side, on the corner ofNguyen Thiep street.

Price: less than US$10

Theme: Coffeehouse

• Written Mar 10, 2008
Rex Rooftop Bar & Restruant with View - Ho Chi Minh City

Rex Rooftop Bar & Restruant with View

Rex Hotel: Oudoor Bar & Restaurant, Great Atmosphere Rex Hotel Review

We were residents of the Rex Hotel whilst in HCMC and found the 5th Floor Bar & Restaurant to be a great place to relax during the evening. A predinner drink admiring the central city lights sets the mood for a great evening.

In our case we were with a group of 27 Orchid hobbyists travelling parts of Vietnam and Thailand and the outdoors bar was a very inviting venue to catch up and finish our day.

There was a great variety on the menu ranging from Club Sandwiches with chips, to traditional Vietnamese food. Our stay often lasted long after the meal was finished. One evening an American man on an adjoining table asked if our group would sing Happy Birthday to his friend, our reward being to get most of the large Birthday Cake, in fact the waiter cut 27 pieces for our group.

Address: 141 Nguyen Hue Blvd, HCMC. District 1

• Written Mar 10, 2008
Liberty Restaurant - Ho Chi Minh City

Liberty Restaurant

Liberty Restaurant: Genuine Vietnamese Food

This was an upmarket local restaurant in the City Centre within 5 minutes walk from most central hotels. The decor and table settings were all first class and after settling into our table I looked around the restaurant and noticed that most of the diners were wealthy Vietnamese, usually in family groups. There was an absence of the tour groups which appealed to us.

We ordered several starters, spring rolls and fried prawns followed by mains being traditional stir fry with pork strips. I do not recall my wife's choice for main course, however we both enjoyed our meal and were completely satisfied.

When paying the bill I gave the manager a 500,000 dong note and when he returned with the change I said to keep it (most likely US $ 4), however he said it was not required. I noticed this happened regularly throughout our visit and on another occassion I gave two 500,000 dong notes when one was sufficient and the waiter pointed out my mistake.

Address: Cnr Dong Khoi & Dong Du Streets, District 1

Comparison: more expensive than average

Directions: 100 metres from Gloria Jeans Coffee. 80 Dong Khoi Street.

Theme: Local

Spring Roll Starter - Ho Chi Minh City

Spring Roll Starter

Lemongrass: Nice Restaurant, Great Vitnamese Food Lemongrass Review

We found the food and service to be excellent at this restaurant. It is a small narrow building with 3 floors used for dining. We were taken up the stairs to the 2nd floor and seated at a small table next to the only window. The restaurant had recently been renovated, the walls painted, nice tables in this simple narrow room.

An extensive menu with several specials highlighted at the front. We commenced with 2 starters which we shared, pork and vegetable spring rolls and I think my wife ordered kebabs, both coming with the appropriate sauces.

For main course we had 2 local meals which were very nice, accompanied by a large bottle of imported sparkling water.

This is a very popular restaurant and I noticed there were several large groups who most likely were on tour. I recommend that you reserve a table, you will not be disappointed. The restaurant is recommended by Lonely Planet Guide.

Address: 4 Nguyen Thiep St. District 1

Comparison: about average

Directions: Walking Along Dong Khoi Street from the Opera House you will pass the Cara velle Hotel block and come to Gloria Jeans Coffee on the corner of Nguyen ThiepStreet. Just walk 100 metres down the street on the right had side.

Phone: (84-8) 822 0496

Theme: Local

Mikebb

“Enjoy every sight, every day”

Badges & Stats in Ho Chi Minh City

Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?

Top 10 Ho Chi Minh City Things to Do