"Relaxation,Nature, Flowers & Elephants in Chaing M" Chiang Mai by Mikebb
Chiang Mai Travel Guide: 1,890 reviews and 4,844 photos
I was in a group of 34 Orchid Enthusiasts touring Thailand and we had 5 days in Chaing Mai to relax and visit several local nurseries. It was my first visit to this city and I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere.
The first thing we noticed was the change in temperature, a most enjoyable climate in February, temperatures in mid C20's, no humidity which enabled us to comfortably walk around during the day . There was much to see and do , The Night Bazaar, river cruise on the Mae Ping River, visit the Hill Tribes, Elephant rides, various day and night markets, and the highlight being the Chiang Mai Flower Festival that went for several days.
The Flower Festival Parade with dozens of floats decorated with magnificent flowers,accompanied by several bands went for 4 hours through the people lined city streets to Buak Had Park.
We were very lucky our hotel was located accross the road from the night bazaar and street markets. A great spectacle in the evening, the lights and exotic merchandise and foods on display in the bazaar gave a carnival atmosphere . It was easy to spend several hours each night browsing the outdoor food markets and stalls, always finding something to buy, however we never ate from the market although the food looked magnificant I was not willing to take on the risk.
Approximately 20 years ago the Thai Government banned logging teak trees in the wild. This decision resulted in the 100,000 elephants employed in the logging industry becoming unemployed. Many of the elephants are now working on elephant farms which attract many tourists. However you will still see elephants in the cities where their handlers walk them to restaurants and bars hoping tourists will donate baht to feed the animals.
- Pros:Relaxing, Interesting, a Good Climate
- In a nutshell:Worth Visiting Again
Adding colour to the Night Bazaar and drawing a large following are the transvestites who parade around the Night... more travel advice
We moved through the camp until we reached the main show ring. We were early and took the opportunity to find seating... more travel advice
Mikebb's Related Pages
Chiang Mai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VISITING COUNTRY THAILAND - CHIANG MAI"
- "Chiang Mai"
- "Chiang Mai Trip 2005: Wed 4th May - Sun 8th May"
- "Chiang Mai"
- "Jungle Trek and Elephant Ride in Chiang Mai"
- "Chiang Mai - Great Base for Trekking"
- "C H I A N G M A I"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chiang Mai
- Hotels in Chiang Mai
- Transportation in Chiang Mai
- Nightlife in Chiang Mai
- Restaurants in Chiang Mai
- Shopping in Chiang Mai
- Warnings and Dangers in Chiang Mai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chiang Mai
- 15 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 71 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Chiang Mai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chiang Mai
- Posted in Travel Milan Forum "Day Trips by Train from Milan"
- updated a Chiang Mai Travel Page "Relaxation,Nature, Flowers & Elephants in Chaing M"
- Commented on one of Mikebb's Chiang Mai travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to ""Ladies" of The Night Bazaar"
- Wrote a Review "Ladies" of The Night Bazaar about Markets in Chiang Mai Things to Do
Photos in Chiang MaiSee All Photos (84)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 59 reviews, 195 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap Intro, 48 reviews, 133 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues