"Relaxation,Nature, Flowers & Elephants in Chaing M" Chiang Mai by Mikebb

Chiang Mai Travel Guide: 1,869 reviews and 4,672 photos

The Flower Festival

I was in a group of 34 Orchid Enthusiasts touring Thailand and we had 5 days in Chaing Mai to relax and visit several local nurseries. It was my first visit to this city and I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere.

The first thing we noticed was the change in temperature, a most enjoyable climate in February, temperatures in mid C20's, no humidity which enabled us to comfortably walk around during the day . There was much to see and do , The Night Bazaar, river cruise on the Mae Ping River, visit the Hill Tribes, Elephant rides, various day and night markets, and the highlight being the Chiang Mai Flower Festival that went for several days.

The Flower Festival Parade with dozens of floats decorated with magnificent flowers,accompanied by several bands went for 4 hours through the people lined city streets to Buak Had Park.

The Night Bazaar

We were very lucky our hotel was located accross the road from the night bazaar and street markets. A great spectacle in the evening, the lights and exotic merchandise and foods on display in the bazaar gave a carnival atmosphere . It was easy to spend several hours each night browsing the outdoor food markets and stalls, always finding something to buy, however we never ate from the market although the food looked magnificant I was not willing to take on the risk.

Elephants abound everywhere

Approximately 20 years ago the Thai Government banned logging teak trees in the wild. This decision resulted in the 100,000 elephants employed in the logging industry becoming unemployed. Many of the elephants are now working on elephant farms which attract many tourists. However you will still see elephants in the cities where their handlers walk them to restaurants and bars hoping tourists will donate baht to feed the animals.

• Pros:Relaxing, Interesting, a Good Climate
  • In a nutshell:Worth Visiting Again
  • Last visit to Chiang Mai: Mar 2009
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2011

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2013 at 7:09 PM

wonderful city, spectacular floats, always impressed with elephants with a purpose in mind. enjoyed your pictures

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
      Dec 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Thanks Lew, Enjoy the warmth down south and wish you both a great New Year & 2014.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2011 at 7:54 PM

The costumes are elegant and the elephants are such precious creatures! Excellent page Mike!

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Love your pages on flowers! So glad you got a Barney nomination!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 2:16 AM

I'm always in favor of traveling with a purpose, and your orchid tourism is a good example of that. Looking for orchids gets you into some really beautiful places, with people who share your interest.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Great page, Mike! Your photos of the flower festival are wonderful. I hope to visit Chiang Mai -- it looks like a fascinating place.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Am looking forward to visiting Chiang Mai in June, wish I was there for the flower parade, like flowers and gardens.

• Jan 27, 2009 at 6:31 AM

Chiang Mai is my next travel in Thailand

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Chiang Mai looks and sounds interesting in your page, Mike. I'd rather like to visit that part of the world and this sounds like the right time, both for the parade and the temperatures!

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2008 at 6:22 PM

Wow Mike....Great Chiang Mai page you've got here...the Vanda Orchid is my fav!!What a brilliant flower!!I'm passing this page along to a friend in Vancouver who is just about to head to Thailand/Cambodia and Vietnam! Cheers!!

• kathymof's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2008 at 8:48 PM

Hi Mike - thanks for the comment on my Iceland page. You are right - the Chiang Mai flower photos are amazing. I hope to get there some day but am a bit scared of the food since I am allergic to coconut and know it is used widely in Thai cuisine.

Mikebb

“Enjoy every sight, every day”

Badges & Stats in Chiang Mai

Have you been to Chiang Mai?