"The Golden Triangle - Burma, Laos & Thailand" Chiang Saen by Mikebb
Chiang Saen Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 98 photos
Our trip to Chiang Saen turned out to be somewhat of a surprise. Travelling with 34 orchid enthusiasts from Perth we had been in Bangkok for 5 days and took a early flight to Chiang Rai. Our itinerary indicated we were accommodated in Chiang Rai.
The fun started at Chiang Rai airport when we were met by a driver who said he was there to collect a party of 4 for transfer to Chiang Saen on the Golden Triangle. Our Tour Director was the Orchid Society President and he immediately recognized a "Stuff Up".
After an hour wait a beautiful, new double decker bus turned up and the hour long journey to Chaing Sean commenced. Upon arrival at the Golden Triangle we were very pleased with our hotel and location. Not for long as the organised afternoon visit to the White Temple, located on the over side of Chiang Rai was due to commence after a quick lunch.
What a waste this turned out to be, all that time in the bus (2 more hours) to see a 10 year old temple.
With hindsight we should have forgone the White Temple, stayed in the Golden Triangle region and enjoyed the Old City of Chiang Saen, or taken a half day tour to Laos or Burma, or visited the Opium Museum.
Chiang Saen was the capital of the Lanna Kingdom from 1327 to 1341, and subsequently became a less important city over the centuries. Today many historic sites remain in the old city. Due to time constraints we did not visit the old city.
Of the 21 days in Thailand 14 were in rural districts to the north and north east. The sky was constantly overcast due to the smoke haze. We were informed that for 3 weeks during March burning off is common place with some blame put on neighbouring countries.
We survived the smoke with no ill affect, the only noticeable problem being no blue sky in our photos.
We visited the Mekong on 4 or 5 occassions during our holiday and the water level was noticeable low. The locals blamed the low level on the dams China has built or are building which have reduced river flow.
- Pros:Nice relaxed place, plenty to see.
- Cons:March annual burn off, smoke haze.
We stopped here to view one of the oldest Wat's from the Lanna Kingdom. There is much to see and understand, however I... more travel advice
We travelled through many rural districts during our 3 week holiday, March 2010. The smoke haze was severe in the... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
The White Temple - Wat Rong Khun
Written May 9, 2016
Aspects Of Chiang Saen
Mikebb's Related Pages
Chiang Saen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Golden Triangle - Burma, Laos & Thailand"
- "Chiang Saen: old/new temples and the Mekong"
- "Port Town"
- "Chiang Saen"
- "Golden Triangle"
- "Chiang Saen, Northern Thailand..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chiang Saen
- Hotels in Chiang Saen
- Transportation in Chiang Saen
- Restaurants in Chiang Saen
- Warnings and Dangers in Chiang Saen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chiang Saen
- 11 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (81)
Have you been to Chiang Saen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chiang Saen
- Posted in Travel Perth Forum "Re: Holiday Budget"
- updated a Chiang Saen Travel Page "The Golden Triangle - Burma, Laos & Thailand"
- Commented on one of Mikebb's Chiang Saen travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Aspects Of Chiang Saen"
- Wrote a Review Wat Chedi Luang - Actual Photos in Chiang Saen Things to Do
Photos in Chiang SaenSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 59 reviews, 195 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap Intro, 48 reviews, 133 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues