"The Ancient Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai by Mikebb

Sukhothai Travel Guide: 223 reviews and 745 photos

The Thai word "Sukhothai" means 'Rising of Happiness'. During the 13th and 14th centuries several Thai principalities in the Mekong River valley united to create Sukhothai.

In 1238 the Sukhothai kingdom declared its independence under King Si Intharathit and quickly expanded its influence. It is considered by the Thai people as the first true Thai kingdom.

The third Sukhothai king, Ramkhamhaeng extended the kingdom from Nakhon Si Thammarat in the south to the upper Mekong River valley in Laos, and to Bago in Myanmar.

Sukhothai is located 450km north of Bangkok. The old city situated within the Sukhothai Historical Park covers an area of 45sq km of ruins. The ruins are spread out and it would be difficult to walk the park in the heat. Bicycles are a good method of seeing the park. Our group travelled in mini vans and we were able to visit many of the major temples and ruins easily in a half day visit.

The Sukhothai Historical Park is a World Heritage Site.

It would be easy to spend several days in the park, however our half day visit gave us a wonderful appreciation of the Sukhothai Period of Thai history. Take time to visit the Ramkhamhaeng National Museum.

Sukhothai kingdom flourished until the late 14th century when power was transferred to Ayuthaya.

• Last visit to Sukhothai: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated May 8, 2010

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Lovely photos. Soon going to visit here. Hope it is as interesting as it looks. Irene

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2011 at 7:14 AM

I enjoyed your pages Mike .He loved our trip there a few years ago and I agree Wat Sri Sawai is the most beautiful.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Looks like you had a great time exploring Sukhothai and Wat Si Chum does look impressive! Good Transportation tip - I recall walking at Iguazu Falls NP in the Argentine summer months! Hope the recent unrest in Thailand did not cause any problems for you.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Wat Si Chum must have been amazing...what a sight that must have been...I would love to explore here.More than interesting page Mike..pretty much seals the deal..I nee dot get back to Thailand again..your pages have made that very clear to me!

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2010 at 7:12 AM

great pictures - now i really miss not having gotten here. the models suggest sukhothai must have been amazing back when.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Nice page Mike! I enjoy looking around the older Wats, find them interesting. You really had a great trip in Thailand.

• FridgeMagnet's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I stayed there myself a few years ago.

Mikebb

“Enjoy every sight, every day”

Badges & Stats in Sukhothai

Have you been to Sukhothai?