"The Ancient Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai by Mikebb
Sukhothai Travel Guide: 239 reviews and 802 photos
The Thai word "Sukhothai" means 'Rising of Happiness'. During the 13th and 14th centuries several Thai principalities in the Mekong River valley united to create Sukhothai.
In 1238 the Sukhothai kingdom declared its independence under King Si Intharathit and quickly expanded its influence. It is considered by the Thai people as the first true Thai kingdom.
The third Sukhothai king, Ramkhamhaeng extended the kingdom from Nakhon Si Thammarat in the south to the upper Mekong River valley in Laos, and to Bago in Myanmar.
Sukhothai is located 450km north of Bangkok. The old city situated within the Sukhothai Historical Park covers an area of 45sq km of ruins. The ruins are spread out and it would be difficult to walk the park in the heat. Bicycles are a good method of seeing the park. Our group travelled in mini vans and we were able to visit many of the major temples and ruins easily in a half day visit.
The Sukhothai Historical Park is a World Heritage Site.
It would be easy to spend several days in the park, however our half day visit gave us a wonderful appreciation of the Sukhothai Period of Thai history. Take time to visit the Ramkhamhaeng National Museum.
Sukhothai kingdom flourished until the late 14th century when power was transferred to Ayuthaya.
The Ramkhamhaeng Museum gardens contain an assortment of replica statutes and other old objects that belong to previous... more travel advice
Whilst inside the Ramkhamhaeng National Museum no photos were allowed, however on leaving the museum building we entered... more travel advice
Mikebb's Related Pages
Sukhothai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Temples and Monks"
- "The Ancient Capital"
- "Ancient ruins and quiet village"
- "The Dawn of happiness"
- "sukhothai, the dawn of happiness"
- "First time in Sukhothai"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sukhothai
- Hotels in Sukhothai
- Transportation in Sukhothai
- Nightlife in Sukhothai
- Restaurants in Sukhothai
- Shopping in Sukhothai
- Warnings and Dangers in Sukhothai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sukhothai
- 14 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Sukhothai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sukhothai
- Posted in Travel Bangkok Forum "Re: Two days left in hand in..."
- updated a Sukhothai Travel Page "The Ancient Capital"
- Commented on one of Mikebb's Sukhothai tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Other Interisting Exhibits In Museum Garden"
- Wrote a Review Other Interisting Exhibits In Museum Garden in Sukhothai Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 59 reviews, 195 photos
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siem Reap Intro, 48 reviews, 133 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues