"Day Trip From Kuala Lumpur" Melaka by Mikebb
Melaka Travel Guide: 1,681 reviews and 4,322 photos
Our day tour to Melaka was an exciting day, something happening all the time commencing with our guide being late as he was involved in a car crash. He arrived an hour late and we were on our way.
Once a great trading city from when the Chinese settled during the 15th century. During 1509 the Portuguese arrived seeking wealth from spice and trade with China. The Portuguese built many buildings which remain today, although some are ruins.
In 1641 the Dutch who were well established in Indonesia took contol of Melaka and ruled for 150 years.
The British had a presence during the early1800's and eventually in 1824 the Dutch ceded to the British. The British governed until the 1960s' when the independent country of Malaysia was established.
We found the Melaka of today to offer much for tourists with its wonderful colourful history, many old buildings, Temples and churchs', mixture of cultures and fantastic variety of food.
St Peter's is the oldest functioning Catholic church in Malaysia having been built in 1710 by descendants of early... more travel advice
The A'Fomasa fortress included a large area within the fortifications. The photo of the notice detailing the plan of the... more travel advice
Mikebb's Related Pages
Melaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Yeow Kwee (Glutton) in Melaka"
- "Melaka - The Historical City of Malaysia"
- "Historical Town of Melaka (Malacca)"
- "malacca, a smal historical city"
- "My Melaka"
- "More than a Historical Town - Home to Baba Nyonya"
- "Melaka - Malaysia's historical centre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melaka
- Hotels in Melaka
- Transportation in Melaka
- Nightlife in Melaka
- Restaurants in Melaka
- Shopping in Melaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Melaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melaka
- 11 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Melaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melaka
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 172 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 40 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shanghai Intro, 38 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 34 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 26 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 30 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandurah Intro, 29 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sun City Intro, 27 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues