"Vientaine - Capital City of Laos" Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane by Mikebb

Vientiane Travel Guide: 768 reviews and 1,754 photos

Our 3 day visit to Vientiane during late November, 2011 was our first time to Laos. Just enough time to see the city, enjoy the local food and take several tours.

First impression was of a city centre that had not changed much since the French left during 1952. Many of the roads needed repair as they had many potholes, many buildings in the city centre were run down, whilst some reflected the French period.

The Capital City of Laos is located on the banks of the Mekong River. The city with a population of 600,000 people is spread out and our group of 13 found it easier to take a City Day Tour which took us to the major temples, buildings, markets etc etc.

I enjoyed our 3 days here, the streets were easy to walk, however be aware of the pot holes and uneven pavement. The local people always smiled and were willing to help. Many cities in Asia are now closing the gap with Western cities, department stores, trains , roads etc in these cities have caught up with the West.

What i liked about Vientiane is that is still retains much of the old way of life. Yes there are motor bikes and cars, however the lifestyle is much simpler and reminds me of many of the destinations I first visited during 1977 on my first visit to Asia.

• Last visit to Vientiane: Dec 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Fine photos on your tips and travelogues! Laos is a country I have always wanted to visit, but never have, at least not so far.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
      Sep 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Thanks for visiting Don, nice place but I arrived sick from eating street food in Kuala Lumpur. Only ate 1 bowl of rice in 5 days.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Looks like a fascinating place to visit. Laos is on my wish-list but I'd always thought more of the rural side so thank you for showing me a new aspect. The temple and buddha garden look amazing, but the sight of all those cluster bombs is rather sobering. Your tour sounds interesting too - loved the photos of the women at the salt plant, and the traditional fishing boat

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Sound's like this is quite an interesting country to visit. I love seeing those big fishing net's, the Temple's and the local's way of life, it is so interesting. What a nice Hotel too! Great page!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2011 at 1:18 PM

So was Vientiane a new destination for you? Very interesting...nice photography
    Marg

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2011 at 6:49 AM

That Buddist Temple and the reclining Budda is fantastic. Wow, they stil use weaving looms, what a lost art! All the food looks good too. Wonderful page Mike!

• picek's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2011 at 4:44 AM

Nice page on Vieng Chang! I have never visited salt pans there before and I think that's wonderful travel idea. Perhaps on our next return. Silk making process is also interesting. I hope your page won't get lost in VT database so that most people can benefit from it, with its unique ideas. Oh, and lunch you had looks delicious, nevertheless!

Mikebb

“Enjoy every sight, every day”

Badges & Stats in Vientiane

Have you been to Vientiane?

Latest Activity in Vientiane