"Dreamy Derawan" Pulau Derawan by freshia
Pulau Derawan Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 49 photos
Derawan is a small charming island where time seems to stop when you were there.
It's one of the few places where you can see sea turtle up close as in swimming with them as they often come swimming below your cottage (that is if you stay in a cottage over the water :p)
You can sit on the verandah on your cottage staring at the view, checking our colourful fish suddenly goes in and out, regular bunch of small fish, some sea turtles, and birds flying close to the water trying to catch the small fish when they jump. And if you decide to jump to the water you can see pretty corals and colourful fish not so far from the beach
From Derawan you can do island hopping to nearby islands:
- kakaban island where you can swim in the lake full of stingless jellyfish, only live in 2 places in the world: kakaban island and Palau
- sangalaki island where you can see Manta, sunbathing on the pristine white beach and visit the sea turtle conservation
- Maratua island for more snorkeling and good beach
- Gusung-gusung (Sand dunes near Derawan) where you can visit in low tides
You can walk around the island in just 30 minutes where all the road is unpaved and only very few motorcycle (only saw 1-2 when I was there). Children were happily playing on the main street or on the water wnd they were very eager models as well
At night you depending on the season you may be in luck to see a sea turtle laying her eggs or saw a baby sea turtle hatches and release him to the sea
Or...you can simply lie down on a jetty and stargaze at the sky full of stars
There are several sand dunes near Derawan Island which you can visit during low tides. A nice place to take pictures :) more travel advice
The restaurant is part of Mirolis Pelangi Cottage, which is at the far end of the island. We had a nice fried chicken... more travel advice
freshia's Related Pages
Pulau Derawan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pulau Derawan - Borneo's most diverse diving"
- "Strange but True!"
- "Dreamy Derawan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Derawan
- Hotels in Pulau Derawan
- Transportation in Pulau Derawan
- Nightlife in Pulau Derawan
- Restaurants in Pulau Derawan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Derawan
- 11 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Pulau Derawan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Derawan
Photos in Pulau DerawanSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Seribu Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Pulau Derawan Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos
- Jakarta Intro, 16 reviews, 4 photos
- Kuta Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- South Island Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ubud Intro, 9 reviews, 5 photos
- Christchurch Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Lombok Intro, 7 reviews, 2 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greymouth Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Fox Glacier Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.