"Pompeii of America!" Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg by matcrazy1

Williamsburg Travel Guide: 778 reviews and 1,246 photos

Where ideas of new country were born

Williamsburg, settled in 1632, became the capital of the most populated and wealthiest British colony in America - Virginia - in 1699 for the next 81 years.

Governor of Virginia Thomas Jefferson was afraid that Williamsburg's location made it vulnerable to a British attack and in 1780, during the American Revolutionary War, the capital was moved to Richmond.

In the early 20th century, John D. Rockefeller financed a project to restore a large portion of the city's 18th century buildings to their original condition. The restored area is known as Colonial Williamsburg which I was lucky to visit together with Urszula (matcrazy0) and Nat (b1bob). Currently there are more visitors to Colonial Williamsburg than to the US capital, Washington. I am not that much surpriced about it, now.

Colonial architecture

Colonial Williamsburg, the historic district of the city of Williamsburg mostly consists of the buildings (over 500) that comprised the original colonial capital of Wlliamsburg. I joined guided tours inside the two highlights: the Governor's Palace and the Capitol, the first capitol in America.

Colonial culture and not colonial prices :-)

My eyes enjoyed looking at pretty colonial architecture and locals costumed in colonial dresses. My ears heard colonial music. My nose felt the 18th century aromas, my mouth wanted to taste colonial food although financial center of my brain warned me: do not over-pay, you just started quite expensive trip and already spent $90 for 2 tickets :-).

• Pros:History shown in the impressive way
  • Cons:Tourist prices
  • In a nutshell:Discover the colonial life of America!
  • Last visit to Williamsburg: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2005

• Dec 21, 2010 at 3:50 PM

we went to Williamsburg last year (saved some $ on tix through this site: Colonial Williamsburg Discount Tickets) but after reading this, I'm ready to go back again to see more!

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2006 at 9:03 PM

Wow, great page! I never noticed half of what you did in Williamsburg. This makes me wonder what I did see...

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2005 at 1:04 PM

Matt, you truly have one of the best pages in Vt on Williamsburg. I always enjoy you pages. Wonderful tips and beautiful photographs. Thanks!!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 2:30 PM

Matt I am totally impressed by your attention to detail = so much information is very hard to comment on - will follow your progress in the future Happy Travels Joan

• Jun 28, 2005 at 12:05 PM

I found your Williamsburg Page on a Google search. You have provided so much detail it's hard to believe you spent only 1/2 day in Wbg. I look forward to seeing your other pages,"Matt". I've greatly enjoyed ttiyr Wbg. pages. Keep Smilin' !

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 2:06 PM

Oops, another monster page :-) - This is on my list for a future US trip. Thanks for sharing the wealth of info. And in German the motto on the British Coat of Arms is "Ein Schelm, der Arges dabei denkt."

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2005 at 1:23 AM

Another great page - we also had a wonderful time there. Will have to have another look at your page to check I missed nothing.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2005 at 4:32 PM

Another fantastic Page Matt. Once you write a page no one else has a chance at number one!

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2005 at 11:32 AM

Enjoyed the second installment of this page Matt!! Especially you made me laugh out loud reading the Copper pots comment!! FYI, modern copper pots are only copper on the outside, so they are safe to use now.

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2005 at 9:01 AM

You were traveling a few hours from where I live. We spent Christmas 03 in this village so know the area. Great coverage for this very historic town. Thanks for your memories of one of our restored villages.

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Williamsburg

Have you been to Williamsburg?

Latest Activity in Williamsburg