"Pompeii of America!" Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg by matcrazy1
Williamsburg Travel Guide: 773 reviews and 1,246 photos
Williamsburg, settled in 1632, became the capital of the most populated and wealthiest British colony in America - Virginia - in 1699 for the next 81 years.
Governor of Virginia Thomas Jefferson was afraid that Williamsburg's location made it vulnerable to a British attack and in 1780, during the American Revolutionary War, the capital was moved to Richmond.
In the early 20th century, John D. Rockefeller financed a project to restore a large portion of the city's 18th century buildings to their original condition. The restored area is known as Colonial Williamsburg which I was lucky to visit together with Urszula (matcrazy0) and Nat (b1bob). Currently there are more visitors to Colonial Williamsburg than to the US capital, Washington. I am not that much surpriced about it, now.
Colonial Williamsburg, the historic district of the city of Williamsburg mostly consists of the buildings (over 500) that comprised the original colonial capital of Wlliamsburg. I joined guided tours inside the two highlights: the Governor's Palace and the Capitol, the first capitol in America.
My eyes enjoyed looking at pretty colonial architecture and locals costumed in colonial dresses. My ears heard colonial music. My nose felt the 18th century aromas, my mouth wanted to taste colonial food although financial center of my brain warned me: do not over-pay, you just started quite expensive trip and already spent $90 for 2 tickets :-).
- Pros:History shown in the impressive way
- Cons:Tourist prices
- In a nutshell:Discover the colonial life of America!
It is not the best idea to visit Colonial Williamsburg during half a day but I had no choice. Well, I can't complain, I... more travel advice
Thanks to Nat I wasn't obliged to look for any accommodation in Williamsburg, but anyway, I was looking for my possible... more travel advice
- See All More shuttle buses, please!
- See All Where did they dine?
- See All Merchants Square
- See All Maps and tickets
- See All Backyards and gardens
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Williamsburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pompeii of America!"
- "b1bob's Excellent Williamsburg Adventures"
- "Learning To Love History Via..."
- "Williamsburg - Virginia"
- "My Hometown...Williamsburg"
- "WILLIAMSBURG--A Taste of the 18th Century"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Williamsburg
- Hotels in Williamsburg
- Transportation in Williamsburg
- Nightlife in Williamsburg
- Restaurants in Williamsburg
- Shopping in Williamsburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Williamsburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Williamsburg
- 175 Reviews
- 218 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Williamsburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Williamsburg
Photos in WilliamsburgSee All Photos (218)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues