"Charming, little pearl of the Shenandoah Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Staunton by matcrazy1
Staunton Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 130 photos
Staunton, a city of 24,000 people in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, is placed on hills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The city was originally named Augusta Courthouse and was the westernmost courthouse in British North America prior to the American Revolution 1776. It's best known as the birthplace of Woodrow Wilson but I was lucky to find a bit more in this extremely picturesque corner of our world.
Thomas Woodrow Wilson was born on December 28, 1856 in Staunton, Virginia to the Reverend Joseph Ruggles Wilson and his wife Janet (Jessie) Woodrow Wilson. It happened in this brick house in my picture - the Staunton Presbyterian Manse. His family moved to Augusta, Georgia when he was 11 months old.
He was 28th President of the USA in 1913-1921 and founder of the League of Nations. In Europe he is most known as top politician working on Treaty of Versailles 1919, the peace treaty which officially ended World War I. This treaty confirmed independance for my country, Poland after over 100 years of being divided into Germany, Austria and Russia. Point 13 of Wilson's Fourteen Points said: "The establishment of an independent Poland with access to the sea." So, I simply had to visit Wilson's birthplace.
- Pros:Little, old, charming and very picturesque city; fog :-)
- Cons:Fog :-)
- In a nutshell:Go when US historical movies are filmed
Each house, both old and a new one in Staunton downtown is built in similar old style with brick sidewalks in front of... more travel advice
Walking around both Gospel Hill and downtown Historic District I easily noticed that there were churches or chapels... more travel advice
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Staunton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Staunton, VA.... Best day of our vacation....."
- "Charming, little pearl of the Shenandoah Valley"
- "Staunton, Virginia"
- "Cultural Staunton"
- "SchuminWeb - Staunton, VA"
- "Staunton, Virginia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Staunton
- Hotels in Staunton
- Transportation in Staunton
- Nightlife in Staunton
- Restaurants in Staunton
- Shopping in Staunton
- Warnings and Dangers in Staunton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Staunton
- 7 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Staunton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Staunton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (380)
Latest Staunton hotel reviews
- Budget Host Historic Hessian House Staunton
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 22, 2011
- Econo Lodge East
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Ingleside Resort & Conference Center
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 24, 2008
- Stonewall Jackson Hotel
- 378 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Frederick House
- 176 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Best Western Staunton Inn
- 122 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Sleep Inn Staunton
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Holiday Inn Staunton
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Days Inn Staunton/ Mint Springs
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013