"Worth a visit even in a foggy day!" Top 5 Page for this destination Shenandoah National Park by matcrazy1

Shenandoah National Park Travel Guide: 170 reviews and 567 photos

Wildlife

Shenandoah National Park encompasses part of the Blue Ridge Mountains and is mostly covered by forests. It's located in western Virginia, southwest of Washington, DC.

Despite foggy and dark October day I am satisfied about my short visit to the park. I could not amaze spectacular mountain views with multicoloured fall forests. Well, I live 40 min. from very similar Beskidy Mountains in Poland, so forests of Shenandoah National Park couldn't be as attractive and exotic to me as numerous parks I visited in say Arizona and Utah a year before.

Anyway, I enjoyed peace and quiet and a few other small things. I also met numerous does and a chipmunk. It's a pity I didn't see any waterfalls and didn't meet any black bear (there are 300 - 500!), bobcat or wild turkey, although I didn't expect to meet these hidden wild animals. Welcome to my tips for more.

Drive 105-mile long scenic Skyline Drive!

• Pros:Wildlife, hiking, photography, fog (few visitors = peace and quite, mysterious pictures :-)
  • Cons:Fog and rain, otherwise crowds of visitors, I suppose; slow Skyline Drive
  • In a nutshell:Go for a hike and find black bears, bobcats and wild turkeys!
  • Last visit to Shenandoah National Park: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2006

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2007 at 8:36 AM

You saw a lot for one short foggy visit. Years ago I hiked the entire 101 miles of the Appalachian Trail through Shenandoah, in 9 days. An awesome experience.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Too bad the fog prevented you from seeing the panoramic view. The fog does make for some interesting pictures, however.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2007 at 9:15 PM

this is a very educative page. you have captured the nature in this park beautyfully. i liked your way of describing wild animals. nice pictures too. and you are absolutely right - pictures in fog and fall colors come out the best.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2007 at 4:32 AM

Glad you got to enjoy some National Parks in the US. They are amazing places to visit. Nice nature photography even on foggy day.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2006 at 8:16 AM

It's wonderful that you enjoy our National Parks, they truly are some of the most wonderful places in the US! Great page :-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2006 at 6:46 PM

Too bad about the weather but you managed to get an absolutely stunning photo of the lichen. US National Parks are the best and the reason to visit this country, as you've shown and done many times now. Great new page style. Old dogs do learn new tricks.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2006 at 10:26 PM

this place looks great even in foggy weather ! Great pics of the unique landscape & wildlife !

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2006 at 10:41 AM

Incredible travelogues! The spider web photo is astounding. Loved the deer; you were able to capture so many lovely scenes, even in the fog. I love your enthusiasm for nature, history, and your eye for detail.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2006 at 5:20 AM

Being from Virginia myself, Shenandoah was one of the first places I traveled to. I spent my 12th Birthday there camping with my friend's family. I'm so glad you enjoy America's beautiful national parks!! Your pictures are fantastic!

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Shenandoah National Park

Have you been to Shenandoah National Park?

Latest Activity in Shenandoah National Park