Richmond Tourist Trap Tips by matcrazy1 Top 5 Page for this destination

Richmond Tourist Traps: 6 reviews and 5 photos

SURGICAL  KIT  USED  DURING  THE  CIVIL  WAR - Richmond

SURGICAL KIT USED DURING THE CIVIL WAR

Association For Free Photography (AFFP) Inconvenient Rules Review

I understand ban on photography put because of serious security reasons (like in some military objects, although... in times of spy satellites...) or because of someones' privacy. But I can't understand the ban put inside the White House of the Confederacy which is open to the public and displays fully furnished old residential and office rooms.

I took a few pictures in the new part of the Museum of the Confederacy like this one of surgical kit used during the Civil War (1861-1865). There was no ban on photography there :-).

Unique Suggestions: Where there is no posted sign prohibiting photography (as there was in the White House of the Confederacy) I assume it is okay to take photos.

If you like... don't look at the ban and take pictures :-). But better do not use the pictures for any commercial purposes.

Fun Alternatives: What about founding Association for Free Photography or something this lines? He?

• Updated Dec 1, 2004
GOVERNOR'S  MANSION - Richmond

GOVERNOR'S MANSION

Not so easy to visit it! Awkward Hours of Operation Review

I wanted to visit the oldest continuously occupied executive mansion in the United States of America that was the Governor's Mansion in Richmond where the Governor of Virginia with his family lives now. But it was impossible. Tours were available only at some days.

Hmm... I found it rather unique in the USA where public offices usually stay wide open for visitors.
Why does it work that way there? Later on, during my visits to a few governor's mansions and state capitols I could easy meet state representatives and other state VIPs. I was talking a few minutes with one of them in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Unique Suggestions: Call +1 (804) 371-2642 and ask for tours in advance. Look at the entrance and the fountain in front of the Mansion on my picture.

Fun Alternatives: Wait till Virginians choose next governor :-). When?

• Written Nov 21, 2004
CAPITOL  CLOSED! - Richmond

CAPITOL CLOSED!

Capitol closed till early winter 2006 Construction and Renovations Review

Unfortunately the Virginia State Capitol building was closed when we got there on our first day in Richmond in October, 2004. There was a fence erected around the Capitol on Capitol Square and the buiding was partly covered by scaffolding.

But the closing at that time had nothing to do with the renovations. Beginning in March 2005, the Capitol interior will close to the general public for restoration work. That day, we lingered a lot at the Museum of the Confederacy and arrived just after the last tour of the day (4.00 pm) began. On my return, I found the following info on the official page of the Virginia General Assembly: "free guided tours of the interior of the Capitol will continue to be offered through the end of February 2005. Access to the building will be available from the West side entrance".

Unique Suggestions: Well, there are many other exciting places to visit in Richmond. Let me share info put on the official page of Virginia General Assembly: "Selected sculpture and artwork from the Capitol will be on free exhibit from 18 April 2005 through 1 April 2006 at The Library of Virginia, located at 9th and Broad streets (one block Northwest of the Capitol)."

Fun Alternatives: There are capitol buildings open for the public in neighbouring and close states including the most famous Capitol in Washington D.C. and North Carolina State Capital in Raleigh I was lucky to visit. Unfortunatelly I skipped the South Carolina State Capitol in Columbia. Do not follow me, I was told that it looks great!

• Updated Nov 21, 2004

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Richmond

Have you been to Richmond?

Latest Activity in Richmond