"PAGE DEDICATED TO NAT (b1bob on VT)" Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond by matcrazy1

Richmond Travel Guide: 843 reviews and 1,309 photos

My first destination and impressions

Richmond was the first city I visited during my second U.S. trip. My friend Nat Atkins, also known as b1bob, invited me to his hometown and gave me a great tour of the place.

I found Richmond to be a fantastic place with amazing and beautiful architecture, to touch history, and to relax in its green space far from crowds of say Washington DC, Wiliamsburg or Mount Vernon. I felt there more like I was in a small town, even a village than in the capital city of Virginia.

Heritage

Heritage means a sense of history. You can see it, feel it, and even taste it while walking amidst old houses and numerous monuments of local, state, regional, and national heroes and patriots. We visited the Museum of the Confederacy, the Jefferson Hotel, and walked along Monument Avenue.

Food

I sampled delicious food in local restaurants, from Brazilian, Mexican, to local barbecue and Southern-style doughnuts for dessert.

• Pros:History and heritage, architecture, peace and quiet, food
  • Cons:Works in the downtown, closed State Capitol for renovation and extension (in 2004)
  • In a nutshell:Taste history in peace and quiet
  • Last visit to Richmond: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 24, 2006

• Mar 4, 2008 at 10:33 AM

FYI, your picture of the monument to George Washington in the Jefferson Hotel is of Thomas Jefferson NOT George Washington.

• Jan 31, 2008 at 5:43 PM

We tried looking for this place Jan 31 2008, Brazilian Cafe closed.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Very keen and accurate insights into the War Between the States. My 2xGreat Grandfather, four great uncles and several cousins all died while defending their Southern homeland against Northern aggression during The War for Southern Independence.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 1:34 PM

Thanks for the fantastic information about the Civil War and the interesting architectural comments. I love the American houses for those fabulous porches. Richmond looks really lovely.

• camilo74's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2006 at 8:09 AM

beautiful page!!! hope to visit some day and to my friend Nat, greetings Camilo

• CPCIC's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2006 at 9:08 AM

The statue in the Palm Court of the Jefferson Hotel is NOT Washington. It's the Valentine statue of Jefferson. Washington posed for French sculptor Jean-Antoine Houdon and that statue, Va's most valuable possession, is in the Rotunda of the State Capital.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2005 at 7:12 PM

Thanks for visiting my RIC page. You have quite the impressive page yourself. How long were you in town when you visited anyway? You sure got around. Hope to meet you during your next visit! ~ Andy

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2005 at 2:26 PM

Great informative page will be back You rival Dee in your info

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2005 at 12:49 PM

Dinner finished and immediately back to this awesome page. Very interesting, especially the history lessons :-). And I did not expect so much old architecture.

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2005 at 2:55 PM

Fantastic page!!! Wow, you've put some detail in there!! Richmond sounds very interesting!

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Richmond

Have you been to Richmond?

Latest Activity in Richmond