"Short night visit starts my US Pulaski collection" Pulaski by matcrazy1
Pulaski Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 10 photos
Kazimierz Pulaski - in the USA usually written Casimir Pulaski (1745 – 1779) - was a Polish soldier and politician. A notable member of the Polish gentry, he was the commander of the Bar Confederation against the Russian domination of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. When this failed, he moved to America, where he became one of the notable commanders of the American Revolutionary War. He died in the Battle of Savannah. Pulaski Day Parade is celebrated on Fifth Avenue in New York City on the first October Sunday since 1937 to commemorate common Polish and American hero.
That's why, despite darkness at about 8pm, as soon as I saw exit 94 off I-81 to Pulaski I took it and stopped at a gas station to read a leaflet on Pulaski County previously taken from Virginia Welcome Center. Well, there was no information on city itself except about its three historic districts. So, I wanted to see them and find some nightlife, a lively pub or restaurant. After over 3 miles I was in Pulaski historic downtown and things worked a bit different than I thought. Futher details in my tips.
There are 17 more towns and 6 more counties named after Pulaski in the USA: in Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Wisconsin. Sooner or later I will visit all of them :-). As for now I visited great Fort Pulaski National Monument near Savannah in Georgia.
- Pros:The name (!), architecture, three historic districts
- Cons:It was dark night :-); ugly, industrial vinicities; any nightlife there?
- In a nutshell:Pulaski was Polish and American hero!
Driving at night towards Pulaski downtown I passed through very ugly, industrial areas (zinc and iron were early... more travel advice
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Pulaski Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Short night visit starts my US Pulaski collection"
- Create a Pulaski Travel Page
- Things to Do in Pulaski
- Transportation in Pulaski
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulaski
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulaski
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Pulaski?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulaski
Photos in PulaskiSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues