"Home of great farmer and the first US president !" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Vernon by matcrazy1
Mount Vernon Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 440 photos
Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens is large property with the mansion where the first president of the United States, George Washington (1732 - 1799) spent most of his fascinating life, died and was buried.
Apart from very pretty location on a hill by the Potomac River the estate offers great educational value. Did you know?
1. George Washington was a passionate farmer and gardener.
2. He introduced the mule to American agriculture.
3. He was one of US first dedicated composters.
4. There are 13 trees planted personally by Washington in the estate.
5. He was horse lover, avid rider and fox hunter.
6. He is buried in Mount Vernon, not at famous Arlington cemetery.
7. He treated his over 300 slaves far more humanely than do his fellow citizens of Virginia. I do work more now than his slaves over 200 years ago!
Thank you very much for your visit and welcome to a virtual tour around the land where the first US president lived and died.
My wife and I visited Mount Vernon thanks to our friend Nat (b1bob) who gave us his time and great company for two days in Northern Virginia and Washington DC, too. That wasn't part of his original plan. The night before we went up there (to reclaim our lost bags at Dulles) and to join several other VT members (in Arlington), Nat recommended very strongly that we go there. He printed out detailed directions and the whole thing for us, but just before we went to bed that night, we asked him if he would go with us to Mount Vernon and he did :-).
You would think Mount Vernon would be way off in Virginia's countryside (with all the beautiful forests, farmlands and gardens with over 1-mile wide Potomac River downhill). But Mount Vernon is only 16 miles (26 km) from downtown Washington, DC in the middle of Northern Virginia urban sprawl which stretches almost to Richmond.
George Washington played many different roles in the founding of the new American nation: Commander in Chief of the Revolutionary Army, first President and leader of the Constitutional Convention to name a few. I was surprised to get to know that he was one of the most accomplished farmers in America. He took a scientific approach to farming and was one of the first to practice conservation of natural resource.
- Pros:Great historical and educational value, nature (forests, the Potomac River)
- Cons:Crowded tour guides inside the mansion (and ban on photography there)
- In a nutshell:Discover the early years of the USA
Mount Vernon is a census-designated place with no seperate local government which is in Alexandria. So, whenever you... more travel advice
The Food Court at Mount Vernon, located in glass-enclosed Pavilion is a restaurant (details in my Restaurants tip - do... more travel advice
- See All No credit card accepted
- See All Slave quarters and shop
- See All Planted by George Washington
- See All First residents of Mount Vernon
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Mount Vernon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of great farmer and the first US president !"
- "~Mount Vernon~"
- "George Washington Slept Here!"
- "MOUNT VERNON,VIRGINIA--Home Of Our First President"
- "a Sunny day at mount Vernon"
- "Washington's Mount Vernon Plantation"
- "Mount Vernon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Vernon
- Hotels in Mount Vernon
- Transportation in Mount Vernon
- Restaurants in Mount Vernon
- Shopping in Mount Vernon
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Vernon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Vernon
- 98 Reviews
- 141 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Mount Vernon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Vernon
Photos in Mount VernonSee All Photos (141)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues