"Never, never skip Luray while in Virginia!" Top 5 Page for this destination Luray by matcrazy1

Luray Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 330 photos

Fantastic caverns!

The Luray Caverns are the largest in the Eastern US. Guided tour through underground fairyland in stone is never to forget. It's simply a must see while you are in Virginia.

Fantastic old cars!

Wow! The fantastic, often very rare cars I saw in the Luray Car & Carriage Caravan Museum made my day. I've seen 1892 Benz, one of the oldest cars in the USA still in operating condition, a 1913 Stanley Steamer, Rudolph Valentino's 1925 Rolls Royce and many other beautiful cars including those of completely unknown to me names: Speedwell, Orient, Riley, Knox, Winton, Middleby, Delaunay-Belleville, Locomobile, Maxwell, Hupmobile, Metz, Stanley and Cord.

My parking guard :-)

• Pros:Fantastic caverns and old cars! Gateway to Shenandoah NP.
  • Cons:Possible crowds in high season.
  • In a nutshell:Walk through underground wonderland and the world of early automobiles!
  • Last visit to Luray: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 19, 2006

• etfromnc's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2006 at 12:37 PM

Thanks for stopping by my Luray page. You have done a better job on the VA mtns than I could and I lived in there. On tipping, I think Luray has the right idea. If someone does their job only, forget tipping. If they do a special job, then tip them.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2006 at 9:01 AM

Beautiful place and a wonderful page done once again!

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2006 at 12:48 AM

Lovely and beautiful cave- and car-page!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2006 at 5:30 AM

Hi Matt, this is great, that you recommend Luray as must see ! I was there ages ago and found it fascinating too :-)) Great page, BTW (I am here since a while but got distracted :-)

• windoweb's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2006 at 4:18 AM

Great place to visit. The Shenandoah Valley is beautiful. My favorite part of our visit to this area was hiking in the Shenandoah National Park.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2006 at 9:37 PM

Luray Caverns look really great, BUT my favorite part of this page are the vintage cars. Nice to see that the Benz 0f 1892 has survived, the most beautiful cars are in my opinion the ones of 1927-1933

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2006 at 4:25 AM

I especially enjoyed the pics and tips on the Luray Caves Matt. It must have been awesome to see them.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 7:35 PM

Quite an amazing page here Matt! This seems to be a very impressive cavern, and you have seen your share of them! Your auto tips were excellent and thanks for the many small details that make all the difference (even if it leads to a Tourist Trap tip)!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 7:18 PM

Believe it or not, I did not know about the Luray Caves! Very thorough, detailed, and quite interesting presentation of these large caves. I was surprised that a car museum was affiliated with the caves. Great photos.

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Luray