"Great location for sidetrips" Harrisonburg by matcrazy1

Harrisonburg Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 20 photos

In the heart of Shenandoah Valley

After busy walking around Staunton and evening shopping in Wal-Mart I hit my car northwards along Shenandoah Valley looking for accommodation at reasonable price. The next day I was going to see the valley, cross Blue Ridge Mountains, visit Luray Caverns and Shenandoah National Park. Well, my travel plan is never fixed.

Being happy excited about the next day and worrying a bit about cloudy and foggy weather in the mountains we stopped at Super 8 Motel before reaching Harrisonburg. I expected to find something interesting in the city the next morning.

In the room I read leaflets about Harrisonburg and I got to know that Harrisonburg is home to James Madison University (JMU) and that the only point of interest is Edith J. Carrier Arboretum. At first I thought about a visit to the arboretum but next morning I asked about it in the front desk and very helpful guy with a bit strange accent (southern?) told me that it wasn't very interesting in October. He advised me to drive directly to fantastic Luray caverns with a stop in small rural town of New Market and he worned me that there was nothing more to see than fog in the mountains that day.

So, I followed his suggestions and didn't see the city at all. But I was very satisfied about my stay in Super 8 Harrisonburg. Welcome to my New Market page to continue.

• Pros:Super 8 Motel - great location for sidetrips to caverns and mountains
  • Cons:Not many tourist attractions in the city itself
  • In a nutshell:In the heart of beautiful Shenandoah Valley
  • Last visit to Harrisonburg: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 15, 2006

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2007 at 4:37 PM

for a small page, this is the best ever tips i read. very nice. i plan to be here in july 2008 :-)

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2006 at 3:20 PM

Hey, I stopped for the night at Harrisonburg once too - and found the same kind of friendly people - but at a different motel.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2006 at 8:01 PM

Southern hospitality . . . glad you enjoyed your stay here.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2006 at 5:13 AM

So glad that your experience at the Motel 8 was a good one and the people there were friendly and helpful. I think it's great that US has so many different price choices for staying overnight.

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Harrisonburg

Have you been to Harrisonburg?

Latest Activity in Harrisonburg