Fairfax Restaurant Tips by matcrazy1 Top 5 Page for this destination
Fairfax Restaurants: 18 reviews and 29 photos
MY OMELET :-), DINER 29, FAIRFAX
Nat (b1bob) chose this restaurant for our last meal on American soil in the end of our fantastic southern odyssey just before flight back to Poland from nearby Dulles Airport. And it was a perfect choice, thanks Nat.
The building is a preserved streamline modern diner and quite popular place as I noticed. The smoking section, with tabletop jukeboxes in small booths, however, has an old-fashioned feel. The menu is far larger - and far more eclectic - than you might find in a typical diner. Inexpensive breakfast is served 24 hours a day and 29 Diner is open 24 hours, 7 days a week. They are closed on Christmas Eve for about 12 hours and that's all. The only thing noteworthy about the breakfast is that it's the South, so you can get grits (a type of maize porridge).
According to the official website, the 29 Diner building was delivered to its location in 1947 and is registered Virginia Historical Landmark. Let me explain. A diner is a prefabricated restaurant building typical for the Northeastern United States especially New Jersey. Diners developed from mobile lunch wagons and are a favorite pop culture memory for many. In many areas, diners were superceded in the 1970s by fast food restaurants. I am suprised that this one in Fairfax survived. Today it's surrounded by development area of strip malls and car dealerships. The number 29 derives from the Route 29 by which it's located. In 1947, Route 29 was a rural place and the diner was in the middle of nowhere. It was basically a truck stop.
Favorite Dish: I and Urszula ordered omelettes which were huge and tasted great. They were served with delicious West Creek Grape Jelly packed in little paper bags like tea-bags. Additionally, what's important, we didn't pay much.
Address: 10536 Lee Highway, Fairfax, VA 22030
Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Northern part of Fairfax, 19 miles west of Washington, DC downtown. Take exit 60 off I-66 to Route 123 South (direction Woodbridge), drive about half a mile and turn on lights right to Route 29 and 50, Diner 29 is on your right, a parking lot in front.
Other Contact: Fax:+1 (703) 937-4731
Phone: +1 (703) 591-6720
Price: less than US$10
More Reviews (12)
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Fairfax Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "b1bob's excellent university adventures"
- "Shopping and eating in Fairfax, more next time!"
- "A Pit Stop for Overnight Stays, Food and Shopping"
- "Fairfax County, VA"
- "Fran's Fairfax Page"
- "asturnut's new Fairfax Page"
- "LoboAl's new Fairfax page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fairfax
- Hotels in Fairfax
- Transportation in Fairfax
- Nightlife in Fairfax
- Restaurants in Fairfax
- Shopping in Fairfax
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fairfax
- 13 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Fairfax?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fairfax
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: What to visit (for 2-3 hours)..."
- Commented on one of soccergrrl's Fairfax travel pages
- updated a Fairfax Travel Page "Shopping and eating in Fairfax, more next time!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Shopping and eating in Fairfax, more next time!"
- Wrote a Review Northern Virginia traffic jams in Fairfax Tourist Traps
Photos in FairfaxSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Washington D.C. Intro, 288 reviews, 1562 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 751 reviews, 805 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gdansk Intro, 296 reviews, 1241 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 264 reviews, 1165 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 389 reviews, 431 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 150 reviews, 647 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 353 reviews, 427 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 318 reviews, 361 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 297 reviews, 308 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Intro, 100 reviews, 471 photos, 5 travelogues