"Shopping and eating in Fairfax, more next time!" Top 5 Page for this destination Fairfax by matcrazy1

Fairfax Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 194 photos

My last hours on American soil

Fairfax is an independent city of only 21,498 people (2000) forming an enclave within the confines of over 1-million Fairfax County west of Washingtin, DC and Arlington, Virginia. It has a compact historic downtown (Main St.) and is a home to George Mason University (GMU) when Nobel Prize-winning economists James M. Buchanan (1986) and Vernon Smith (2002) teach numerous students. My friend Nat (b1bob) from Mechanicsville, Virginia is graduated from GMU which has become the largest public university in the state of Virginia (about 30,000 students). My other VT-friend, Kent (Kentbein) lived in Fairfax in 2004. I was very happy to meet them both personally.

Shopping

I passed through Fairfax a few times on the way to/from nearby Washington Dulles International Airport and spent there my last hours on American soil in 2004. Well, due to rainy weather we killed our time before flight back to Europe in Fair Oaks Mall and enjoying great meal at 29 Diner. If you need information on Fairfax tourist attractions please switch to Fairfax VT-pages by other VT-ers or City of Fairfax Official Webpage or wait until I come back there to see more.

• Pros:Historic downtown, George Mason University, shopping, 29 Diner
  • Cons:Traffic jams in rush hours, it's not at all the South
  • In a nutshell:Don't pass through Fairfax, stop for a while!
  • Last visit to Fairfax: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 28, 2006

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2007 at 5:59 AM

Glad you got in some last minute shopping and eating.

• soccergrrl's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2006 at 1:29 PM

Nice page! Fun to see an "outsider's" point of view on things I see every day.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 6:34 AM

Thanks for the information on beloved Fairfax!

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2006 at 11:17 AM

next time you are in town zap me an email...

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2006 at 10:46 AM

shopping in America is always great fun, I especially like these giant x-mas-trees

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 12:49 AM

isn't it great 'killing' time with friends and doing a real shopping spree :-)) tks for sharing Matt

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2006 at 1:56 PM

Hi Matt, thanks for sharing how you spent your last hours before catching your plane. Hot stuff, haha !

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2006 at 8:12 PM

Yes, we have all had to kill some time before a flight, so it seems you had many diversions close-by! Urban sprawl - yes, it seemed like one big city as we drove south through Boston/Hartford/New York/Philadelphia/Baltimore/Washington!!!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2006 at 2:07 PM

I had not had you down as a shopper = but the Malls are fun places to be = thanks for directing the security guard to VT!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2006 at 3:25 PM

I always appreciate your attention to detail, your articulate use of English, your attractive photographs and use of hidden photos. I love Brookstone and am glad you enjoyed it. Nat is terrific and he is so funny. That one woman sounded obnoxious.

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Badges & Stats in Fairfax

Have you been to Fairfax?